• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Aod

M.T.

Loc.
Hilliard FL
I have an explorer 5.0 motor and am looking for a transmission. Will an AOD work, I have one that I can use but did not know if I needed an AODE since the motor has a computer. I know a transfer case adapter is required, just was not sure about the transmission.

broncoguy66

an AOD doesn't need a computer, just a kickdown lever, so if you have a way to hook that up, I think you'd be good. Does your computer harness have the AODE part to it? I would think if your harness has provisions for the AODE then go for it, but an AOD would work regardless.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The transmission behind that Explorer motor is a great evolution of the AOD, the 4R70W. Yes, it is computer controlled. That is what makes it so good.

There are 2 ways to control the computer controlled transmission, either with the engine computer using a '94-'95 mustang or a stand alone computer (I like better).

If you do regress to an old AOD, no computer needed. About the only difference is that the AOD uses a TV cable (NOT A KICK DOWN!) to control all shifting functions. No vacuum modulator.