• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ARB compressor issue

mortimersnerd

I recently reinstalled the switches for my ARB compressor. It is now working very intermittently. The light on the switch turns on, but the compressor doesn't usually fire. I replaced the original glass fuse holder with a blade style last night and it didn't fix the problem. The solenoids for the lockers work fine and the wires appear to be intact. I'm guessing the pressure sensor may be bad, but I really don't have much idea. Any thoughts on where to start diagnosing this?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The compressor only runs when it needs to build more pressure. The small reservoir holds enough volume for a few cycles of the locker usually.

OP
OP
mortimersnerd

mortimersnerd

The compressor isn't switching on even when drained. When it was working briefly last night it filled. I cycled the solenoids several times this morning and it didn't kick on, even when out of air.

blubberfet

I can lock and unlock one axle three times before my compressor will turn back on. I just installed it a couple days ago and that was one thing I tested. It doesn't run long when it does turn on.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Probably the pressure switch then. You can bypass it to test but don't let it run long.

OP
OP
mortimersnerd

mortimersnerd

Thats what I was thinking as well. Can I just short the pins in the connector for a second or two to test it?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If you have a test light you can follow the wiring and see where the power stops at.
My guess is the pressure switch (or relay if you have one of those in the circuit). When you are chasing the power and you have it all the through then probe the ground wire. If the ground wire has power then it isn't a ground. reground the ground to make it grounded so it will be a ground.

And as everyone else stated, you can test the switch by bypassing it for a few seconds.

OP
OP
mortimersnerd

mortimersnerd

Fixed it. Relay had died. $9 at NAPA, had one sitting on the shelf in the lighting section.