• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ARB locker air use

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Just tested my ARB installed in a Dana 44, it locked up tight when air was applied, however the compressor was cycling every few seconds. I couldn't hear any air leaking externally, wondering if anybody has any advice?

THX,
JB

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sure sounds like a leak is somewhere. Soapy water is good for that.
Are you running an air tank of any sorts? Won't stop the leak, but will stretch out the compressor cycle times. Those short runs every few seconds are tough on a compressor. The initial start up is the highest current pull and highest load. Doing that every few seconds is tough on the compressor. High loads, more heat, short run time, no cooling. Even a small storage tank (size of a soda can?) will help out on the cycle times. To the point of maybe getting a couple of activation cycles before the compressor has to cycle.

Any idea what pressure switch is on the compressor? I've seen lots of different values. The last (real ARB) compressor I got was a 150/175PSI where the identical clone had a 50/80 PSI pressure switch installed. I put 90/120 in both of them to get pressures closer to what I want to use.

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
It's the big ARB compressor, attached to the ARB manifold. The manifold's about the size of a soda can but I have considered several locations to mount an air storage tank, such as where the auxiliary tank used to be.
I'm going to go after it with soap and water but I can't hear any air leaking. I hope it's not inside the case I wasn't looking forward to opening that up except to change the oil after a few thousand miles.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
It's the big ARB compressor, attached to the ARB manifold. The manifold's about the size of a soda can but I have considered several locations to mount an air storage tank, such as where the auxiliary tank used to be.
I'm going to go after it with soap and water but I can't hear any air leaking. I hope it's not inside the case I wasn't looking forward to opening that up except to change the oil after a few thousand miles.
You have a leak. The air volume in your existing system is so small that even a tiny leak (think slow bubbles if you could hold it in water) will cause it to cycle. Totally irritating, especially if it's inside the housing. But that's what it is. Ask me how I know... Meanwhile I'd advise plumbing in a storage tank as you described. I've never been able to expunge all leaks in mine but finally gotten it down to several days before it turns on the compressor. But it still leaks a teeny bit. Argh. Good luck...

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
You have a leak. The air volume in your existing system is so small that even a tiny leak (think slow bubbles if you could hold it in water) will cause it to cycle. Totally irritating, especially if it's inside the housing. But that's what it is. Ask me how I know... Meanwhile I'd advise plumbing in a storage tank as you described. I've never been able to expunge all leaks in mine but finally gotten it down to several days before it turns on the compressor. But it still leaks a teeny bit. Argh. Good luck...
Yep exactly. A small tank will cut down on cycling and make your compressor much happier. It’s almost impossible to completely eliminate air leaks when you’re dealing with a system that has flexible connections like the lines feeding an air locker. I have the big ARB compressor with a 2.5 gallon Viair tank and it will run my front and rear lockers pretty much all day without cycling, but it loses a fair amount of air if it sits for awhile without being used.