• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ARB or OX locker for the front diff?

1966bajabronco

I am replacing a front busted d30 with a d44. I live in baja Mexico which is a very hostile environment. salt, sand, humidity, and heat. I am looking for a front selectible locker that is very tough and can del with the elements.

I have always wanted an ARB, but I am concerned about having to rely on an electrical pump to run the system. Regular portable 12v tire pumps only last about a yr here. I haven't ever seen a ARB down here so I don't know how long they would last.

The OX locker looks like the ticket as it is cable ran, which still could get frozen up by sand/salt.

Anyone have any similar enviroments in which they have used these lockers? I haven't heard all that much about the OX so any comments regarding it are welcome.
Which is the better/stronger locker? Any other locker recommendations are also welcome. I run 95% offroad in the bronco, but want to be able to turn easily if I need to as I am usually running arroyos that are very narrow.

Thanks in advance amigos

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I would go ARB with a power tank in place of the compressor.

OP
OP

1966bajabronco

I have a power tank that was given to me, only problem is they won't fill them in Mexico. I'm bringing mine up and selling it on ebay in a few weeks. I also have a fill adapter to fill a small bottle off a big bottle.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I run an OX locker and like it for it's simplicity. I'm in the desert in Arizona, so there's plenty of dust and grit, but no salt to deal with. The cable at the differential end is totally sealed. It's been a few years since I set up the shifter lever inside, but I think that can be sealed up pretty well, also.

I chose the OX over the ARB to eliminate the issues with air. Went wheeling a few times when guys with ARBs were hosed because they couldn't get the compressor to run. If you choose the ARB I would add some redundancy in the air and go with a compressor as the primary source of air, with a power tank as a backup.

OP
OP

1966bajabronco

I run an OX locker and like it for it's simplicity. I'm in the desert in Arizona, so there's plenty of dust and grit, but no salt to deal with. The cable at the differential end is totally sealed. It's been a few years since I set up the shifter lever inside, but I think that can be sealed up pretty well, also.

I chose the OX over the ARB to eliminate the issues with air. Went wheeling a few times when guys with ARBs were hosed because they couldn't get the compressor to run. If you choose the ARB I would add some redundancy in the air and go with a compressor as the primary source of air, with a power tank as a backup.

That is my major concern with arb's, I have heard of this happening to others as well too. The other issue is that the plastic air lines would break down in this environment. A pop bottle only lasts about 8 months here, a plastic grocery bag turns to dust in a month.

70_Steve

Old Guy
The other issue is that the plastic air lines would break down in this environment. A pop bottle only lasts about 8 months here, a plastic grocery bag turns to dust in a month.
I suspect that's mainly caused by the temps and UV. That happens here in Phoenix as well. My cable tucks up pretty nicely under the Bronco, and doesn't see any sun, so I'm not concerned about the plastic covering deteriorating.

70_Steve

Old Guy
The install was not without issues, but mostly because of issues with the carrier and shims. That's a long story and am willing to discuss off-line. The cable and lever were touchy to set up, but I've not touched the adjustments since I set it up 6 years ago.

I've never run a selectable locker before, so I mounted the lever on the side of the tunnel, but where I had to bend over just a little to reach it. Since I've been running it, I realized I lock and unlock it more often than I thought I would. I get in a tough spot and lock it. Then when I'm through that tough spot, I unlock it so I can steer! So I'm in the process of relocating the lever to be within arms reach while sitting normally. I will fab up a mounting bracket off my cage to put the lever near the right front corner of my seat.

Admittedly, this would be easier done had I installed an ARB, and put a button on my shifter to lock and unlock the front. But I really do like the OX!

Dannyboy71

Arb sells upgraded steel braided lines in 5' and 12' lengths if your worried about line breakage. Check out some of their videos on their web site.

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
I run arbs with hd lines they sell. No issues at all. I have run lockers for a long time and selectable was the best chance I made. The ability to turn the from on and off help big time on the trails with steering ect

rwill

My Polaris Ranger has a cable control Locker in th rear.(I know not exactly apples to apples, but same princple) and it works great. It get abused every day with no problems.
Love it.

NateMob

Ive run an Ox in the front of my 74 for the past few years and had zero problems out of it. Set up was easy with the manual directions for the cable and i havent had to adjust it since. Ill put a picture up this evening for you showing how i routed the cable and where its mounted at.

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
I run an ARB and a guy I wheel with all the time runs an OX. I really see no difference practically speaking. Mine is a little more convenient I would say and a little more vulnerable maybe. but we have been wheeling together hard for 5 years and neither of us has ever had a locker issue.

Action

OX Pics

Ive run an Ox in the front of my 74 for the past few years and had zero problems out of it. Set up was easy with the manual directions for the cable and i havent had to adjust it since. Ill put a picture up this evening for you showing how i routed the cable and where its mounted at.

I would also love to see the pics.
Thanks Jack

NateMob

This one is from the driver seat(obviously), if you are unfamiliar with the lever; the cable runs directly out the back and is tucked up nice and high before it exits out the old clutch rod hole. Its out of the way and always within reach.

I then stole a page from the TJ guys that run this setup and ran the cable down the left radius arm.

1320366294_photobucket_76908_.jpg

IMGP2036.jpg

IMGP2037.jpg

Last edited:

rmfreeze

Loc.
Benton, Arkansas
My OX lever is mounted beside the driver seat where I can reach down with my right hand and push it to lock. Easy enough. I ran the cable down the driver radius arm also. No issues in about 4 years except that I sometimes forget to activate it and sometimes forget to disengage it. But that's driver error! And with ram assist steering I am not so easily reminded it's engaged. :)

I think you can make either work. I wheel with many more people running ARB than with an OX and I've not seen any issues with torn or broken lines or bad compressors. You said they won't fill an air tank in Mexico - what another compressed gas like CO2 or N2?

OP
OP

1966bajabronco

The guy I got the tank from, said they won't fill a powertank...which uses CO2 I believe. Not sure about N2 or o2. On the same note they don't sell acetylene here either... the torches are propane/o2.

If I was to run an arb, I'd probably have to run a OBA system with a back up pump... more $$$...which is why the OX seems like a viable option. I am beginning to ask myself if a front locker is even necessary for the wheeling/exploring I do. I am beginning to think a LS will suffice.

I have done a lot of research the last few days as I fractured my foot on friday, so I have been online way too much researching my upcoming purchase. I haven't read about many major ox failures...besides the early cables having issues. I have came across several ARB failures...however there are way more ARB's out there, so it is not a fair comparison, most ARB failures seem to happen because the ring bolts backed out.