• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Yukon Grizzly, Zip or ARB Locker up front Dana 44?

orygunbou71

Loc.
Ashland, Oregon
Hi there all My power-lok just failed. Spider gear teeth in the bottom of the diff. With 350 miles on it in 4x4. I am looking at replacing it with something more durable but still streetable. I do drive my rig on the pavement and on packed snowy roads in the winter. I have a Grizzly in the rear and love the performance of it. I liked the power lok when in deep mud, snow and sand or when crawling.but was a chore to drive on packed snowy roads. What locker would be best for all situations and last longer than a few hundred miles??

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
ARB is the best option because you can leave it an open different til you need it. That also gives you less wear on front end parts and tires.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
ARB=Big$

But there is nothing like it, except an Ox Locker or E-Trac electric locker.....they are all pretty expensive....

TAC71

Contributor
I have Detroits front and rear and love them. Been running them for years and my truck is my daily driver. I also live in Canada so it sees snow and don't get why people are afraid of them in the snow.
But I do agree that a switchable locker in the front gives more versatility

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I have Detroits front and rear and love them. Been running them for years and my truck is my daily driver. I also live in Canada so it sees snow and don't get why people are afraid of them in the snow.
But I do agree that a switchable locker in the front gives more versatility

Funny....
I am from the opposite end of the continent and have the exact same opinion......

pbwcr

I have experience with the ones mentioned below
For use in the snow a limited slip or open front should be best. A select-able locker can be left unlocked which is good. Detroit will result in sudden action that will send you off the road or trail pretty quick. Think about a spool and how they work on an off camber slick situation. The result is no control.
So short of a rock crawl situation a Trutrac limited slip would be my choice to the original question.
If you must have a locker and not a limited slip then ARB is best.
PW

wgamble

Loc.
Bossier City
I ran the eaton e locker and absolutely loved it. Never had any problems with it over the 4 years I owned it banging the hell out of it every weekend on the trails. Great street manners. Otherwise ARB period

edones06

I just got a arb few weeks ago and love it. Im only two trail rides into it. I only wish id gotten one years ago.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I've run the same ARB in several Dana 44's since Feb of 1987. I run the best axles with 300M joints in a 418 and 37's and it's still working. I live in an area that used to have snow on the ground for 4 months of the year and I've put over 175,000 miles on this rig since '76.

My .02, don't look at anything other than an ARB for dependability, parts availability, and service mainly because I've never had an issue in all that time and they work EVERY time but only when I want them too!

I ran Detroits before ARB's. Ford clutch type diffs, Auburn cone style, Trac lock...that's about it. I'm just not a Detroit guy as I've seen too many of them grenade after an axle breaks...

Been running ARB's front and rear since '96 or '97

If ultimate traction for off road and s a f e t y for driving around a corner on a icy blacktop road is a couple of your top priorities, a selectable locker is what you want. ARB has been building these for decades and heck, Australians are our friends!

Hope this helps, good luck