• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ARB setup

76BroncoPete

Contributor
Thinking about throwing an ARB in the rear end to start and eventually the front end. I’ve been doing a little bit of “research”, and was looking at maybe going with a co2 setup over a compressor. I’m curious if anyone has experience with both and which they preferred. Also any pros and cons from people running ARB regardless of the setup and any pictures you have of compressor or co2 tank locations, switches, etc. Thanks in advance.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My ARB has yet to be run, but my brother has run his ARB's in his Toyota for years off of his PowerTank without any issues. He carries a spare PowerTank, so he's never run out of CO2 and he typically still has enough leftover to fill up tires on his and whoever else's truck that needs it.

My EB will run a ARB twin compressor on the inner fender, mostly just because I don't want to deal with filling CO2 bottles...doing my welding bottles is enough for me, and those are a direct swap. Most of my local shops won't fill on site while you wait, so that means dropping off and then picking up during separate trips, and ain't nobody got time for that!

SP73

The ARB compressor is tiny and the head is clockable, so mounting locations are numerous. I mounted mine on the back side of the drivers side inner fender. I ended up putting the switches in the center console because I didn’t want to cut my dash.

OP
OP
76BroncoPete

76BroncoPete

Contributor
Yeah tank swap or fill up protocol is something I need to look into. Also good to know that the compressor is clockable and I’m with you on not wanting to cut up the dash for switches

pbwcr

Used CO2 and ARB small compressor on several rigs. CO2 is not reliable because extra stuff is a crap shoot. Regulator is the main issue and expect to have a bunch of fittings and adapters to match the ARB.
The simple plug and play is the ARB compressor. Works great. In the last 15 years the only issue was a bad pressure switch. None of my buddies have never had a pressure switch issue.

OP
OP
76BroncoPete

76BroncoPete

Contributor
Thanks pb that’s some good real world info. Also good to know the compressor seem to be really reliable

BradinEDH

Contributor
I run the compressor. Works great. I love the ARB in the rear end, going from an old style Detroit Locker that was unpredictably adventurous on the road. Best of both worlds. Compressor is mounted on driverside firewall and switched under the dash.

Attachments

• IMG_1271.jpg
    IMG_1271.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1269.jpg
    IMG_1269.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 64

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I bought my 1st ARB for my Bronco in Feb '87. Ran their little compressor till about '98 when it died on the way to the 'Con. At that time I'd already been running the Gen 1 ARB for the 9" rear.

I've been carrying a small bicycyle pump and a small air chuck since that first ARB compressor died. My front bumper is a storage tank. It would have ruined my trip if I hadn't had a friend in Sacramento loan me a compressor for 10 days. I swore I'd do my best to have duplicates of most everything critical that I could to prevent a potential disaster like that could have been.

CO2 bottles in my town come in once/week. If I bring in an empty on Tuesday it will be 12 days before I get a replacement- unacceptable. In my rig, they are too big. I gave away a coupone for 50% because I didn't want to deal with bottles, adapters, and a big tank taking up valuable space.

I have run an alum case York, belt driven OBA setup since '99 or so. They are about as dependable as you can get.

Remember with a tank you'll only run out of air when you need it... then you're fun wheeling trip is over.

Last edited:

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
After going through several setups and configurations for small compressors and CO2 tanks I now have it where I can run either. I started with a Viair compressor mounted under the hood. It worked fine in the morning but on hot afternoons it would overheat and shut down due to engine heat. Moved it to the rear wheel and it was annoyingly loud. Went to a Smittybilt CO2 tank which worked well as long as the tank was full - kept running out at the most inopportune times. (Aggravated by a leaky ARB seal which I have since fixed.) Now I have a mount next to my fuel cell in the rear of the bed that I can mount the CO2 tank OR the Viair compressor. The compressor is mounted on top of a small tank in a configuration that matches the size and shape of the CO2 tank and uses the same mount. No more issues. I find I use the compressor much more than the tank.

OP
OP
76BroncoPete

76BroncoPete

Contributor
Thanks for the pictures Brad. Nice looking setup. Good to know it will fit if I ever go hydroboost too. Thanks stuk and scoop too, is all great stuff. It helps hearing y’all’s experience also maybe avoid some unnecessary costly mistakes too.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
My biggest worry about running CO2 is always keeping the bottle open. Add in an undetected leak on a long weekend where the bottle is a bit low, but good enough for another trip before refilling. Wake up the next morning and finding you don't have the CO2 for airing up the tires nor the CO2 for the lockers. It will be that one night you forgot to turn off the bottle that you normally do religiously.

Really no way is totally fool proof. For me getting CO2 fills is a huge pain. But I do love the CO2 for filling tires over waiting on a compressor. But a compressor can be tucked away and take a lot less space. Bringing a second CO2 bottle sure is nice, but that eats a lot of space.

I guess my dream setup would be a compressor for the lockers and CO2 for tires and power tools. A good enough compressor that you could do tires if you really had to (disregard to time to fill)

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Broncobowsher...then you need York 9cfm OBA setup. :)

I run 16d air nailers quite often with my York w/o any issues, fills a 40" tire from 6 to 18psi quickly (I timed it once-can't remember but at 1200rpm, not 3K!! ;)

Good pts like I mentioned about the CO2 bottles.