• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Auto Column Shifter Tube Repair

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
The tab on the shaft of my auto column shifter came off, luckily in my driveway. The tack weld tab is still in place. I don't weld so I'm curious if this can be fixed with something like JB Weld? Shaft is 29" if anyone has an extra. Thank you!

IMG_9910.JPG

Wrightracing

I would take it to a welder and have it welded. Using an epoxy could work for a little while, but it could come apart at anytime. Do it right the first time.
You could even pickup a used welder and do it yourself. It is a great tool to have, because you will most likely need it again in the future.

I have three of them, a 251 mig, a portable 180 mig and a 180 tig/Arc welder. Welders are a great tool to have for project vehicles.

That's just my opinion.

David Wright

OP
OP
BGBronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I would take it to a welder and have it welded. Using an epoxy could work for a little while, but it could come apart at anytime. Do it right the first time.
You could even pickup a used welder and do it yourself. It is a great tool to have, because you will most likely need it again in the future.

I have three of them, a 251 mig, a portable 180 mig and a 180 tig/Arc welder. Welders are a great tool to have for project vehicles.

That's just my opinion.

David Wright
Well, I know that's the right answer!

I won't be doing any structural stuff for sure. If I end up getting a welder I'm assuming a 120v MIG will do for homeowner projects ...

Thx.

armynavy17

Contributor
You could possibly try a rivet... I would think it would compress enough inside to slide over the steering shaft. If not you can always just drill it out and then take it to a welder. Something small like this, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they didn't charge you anything, but I suppose it depends on the shop.

Learning to weld and borrowing/buying a used welder would be good too. It's a great skill to have and it comes in handy all the time once it's an available possibility for you.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
if your torch friendly you could silver solder or braze it. post your location maybe someone needs to pay it forward or could steer you to help. start off strip the area and piece to white metal. it will take longer to clean it than weld it.

OP
OP
BGBronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I'll be looking for a welding shop. I like the rivet idea but i think I will have clearance issues on both sides.

OP
OP
BGBronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Bought the welder, fixed the problem.

These shift tubes apparently aren't available anymore so if you have an extra, hold on to it!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice going! And a new tool to boot, you're in great shape!
Yes, hen's teeth is what they're made of. Was great for a couple of years when we could get them new still. Not sure if someone found a lot of old stock, or if they were actually making them. But either way the joy did not last long. They started running out of one style, then the next, then nothing since. Leaves a big void that someone needs to fill.
Unfortunately (or fortunately!) it's not that common an occurence, so probably not enough profit to keep someone in business for the long haul.

Paul