• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

auto shifter

Silverhorse

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pensacola
Anybody tried an auto shifter like these? I'm up in the air on a shifter. I have narrowed it down to the two.

bad links, see below

Last edited:

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
That first one looks all too much like the original Hurst shifter I had in mine. I hated it with a passion. The reverse lockout down on the side made it a pain to use and impossible to go between drive and reverse quickly to rock back and forth. The second one looks closer to the B&M Megashifter I use now which I like. It doesn't have a reverse lockout though which is kind of scary. The megashifter I have now has one but it's up at the top right below the handle so it's just a matter of pulling it up with the same hand to shift it. (The old one I had required 2 hands to work the lockout and shift at the same time)

Note: When discussing reverse lockouts keep in mind that OEM shifters have them even though people may not recognize them as such. For floor shifters they usually have a button on top and for column shifters they require pulling the shifter towards the driver before they allow shifting past neutral into reverse.

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
I need to buy one, I just dont care for how huge some of the shifter housings are. The first one I like but I dont know the actual size in a bronco, I need to compare it. If its near the size of the one that B&M makes, then foget it. I was thinking of a Lokar shifter. Clean and simple on the tunnel.

tailmountshifter.jpg

http://www.lokar.com/interior_pages/shifters_knobs.htm

Last edited:
OP
OP
Silverhorse

Silverhorse

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pensacola
I like the lokar also, plus it bolts directly to the tranny. I'm not sure how the B&M mounts.

Last edited:

NoJoe

Loc.
san jacinto,ca.
I have the Lokar from Summit and really like it, I have the one that mounts to the floor, I chose the 9 inch one so including the mount it is about 15 inches tall.

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
I think you can get a Lokar as small as a 12" still.

B&M mounts to the floor board housng and all, the shifting leverage is with in the housing. There is a hole needed in the floor board or in our case the tunnel with either a cable or linkage.

Imagator

Loc.
Land O' Lakes, FL
I have the 16' floor shifter waiting to be installed. If anyone has installation pics I would like to see them.

Silverhorse- If you go with the second one Advanced Auto sells a very cool Billet Pistol Grip for it that you should consider.