• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Auto to 3spd manual?

Rockin69er

Can't think of any. I love manual transmissions and might go to a NP435,NV4500 or ZF but NEVER back to a 3spd. Unless restoring one back to original.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It was converted because they wanted the C4. Threw the old parts into the eBay special so it would be a driving truck as it left.

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Holy Crap, that belongs to a friend of mine!... It's definitely NOT an ebay special. He bought that thing because he was still missing the one he had in high school and should never have sold. I bet he's sick about having to sell it.

FWIW, he wanted to put in a np435 but couldn't afford it at the time, If I remember correctly, the C4 was on the outs which is why he did the conversion originally (Like many of us he's not a fan of autos).

I've ridden in this truck many times and I can tell you that it really is his baby. He's done everything on it to the best of his abilities (with a lot of help and advice from the guys at Driven). He bought it as a nicely built truck and then added most of the goodies himself. I don't know exactly how much he invested but I do know that it's a lot more than he's asking for it. No 30+ year old vehicle is ever perfect, but this one is a lot nicer than average.

I'd put his rig up against that $44K Barret Jackson Special any day.

Last edited:

Cleck

Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Hal9000... Good to see you on here! Yes, I am torn up that this Bronco has to go too.

Hal9000 was right, I wanted a manual transmission anyway and a three speed was what could get me up and going at the time (daily driver).

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
Convert is really the wrong word or wasn't meant to be literally converted, just replaced. I don't think its possible to take a C4 shell and make it a manual tranny.

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
When did you see it? Cleck bought it a few years ago (I'm thinking it's been about 4 years he's owned it), but I think he bought it locally.

widowmaker77

Contributor
I had to replace my c4 with a three speed once, not that I wanted to just couldn't afford new auto at the time. Ran the three speed for years till input shaft bearings went south. Then I converted it back to c4. Its not really that big of deal when you got all the parts laying around.Only thing I didn't like was floor shifter I put in would hang between gears and its tougher to get them straightened out from under the bronco, than on the steering column under the hood.