• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Automatic Dowel Plates interchangeable?

gtnorga

So here's what I got, a 93 mustang 5.0 and a 98 explorer 4r70w to install. Is the mustang dowel plate compatible with the 4r70w? Generally speaking, are the automatic dowel plates interchangeble among the various year 302/5.0 and popular automatic swaps?
Thanks

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The lower half will have the plate mounting bolt holes in different locations for different transmissions (C4 vs AOD/4R70W) but you can probably just drill them where you need them. The big issue is trying to use a 157 tooth type plate on a 164 tooth type bellhousing. Starter location will be wrong. AOD and small block 4R70W probably can use the same plate but I've seen a couple different types.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The '93 mustang uses and AOD. The 4R70W is an evolved AOD. I believe (but can't guarantee since I have not done it) that they are interchangeable. It will work, I am sure of that. The bottom bolt holes lining up are the only thing I have any question about, and that isn't a critical problem, just a cover the spinning parts type of cover.

As Viper points out there are different versions. In general the block plate should follow the transmission. The bellhousing bolt pattern will be the same, but the lower cover bolts are what will be different. The block plate also indexes the starter in the correct locations based on the number of teeth on the flexplate.

OP
OP
G

gtnorga

Thank you both. Your wisdom and willingness to share it really makes this site awesome.