• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Aux Tank Vent valve - Help

Starman

Loc.
Central Wisconsin
I tried searching for this part for a while. I could not find it. Could someone here please help with this? The P.O. used gasket sealer to try and reattach this valve. I was smelling gas in the garage ever since I got the Bronco. This was the culprit. When I dropped the aux tank I found the vent valve partially fallen out.

Anyone know where I could get a new one? There is a hole in the top of the aux tank. Then in the hole is a large gasket grommet. Then the vent valve I think is suppose to snap in the grommet. Check the pictures to see what is going on. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• aux tank and valve.jpg
    aux tank and valve.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 168
  • Showing gasket in hole.jpg
    Showing gasket in hole.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 133

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Not factory. Seems the PO did what I was thinking of doing. That vent is from another car/truck. Looks similar to the ones off my donor van I was going to try and use. The PO cut a hole in the tank and put that in. The issue is getting it to seal which is the problem you have and why I did't try it. haven't ruled it out yet just put it on the back burner when I try and finish up my EFI/351W project.

AUX tanks (the on I have anyway) vent near the sending unit.

Tim

OP
OP
S

Starman

Loc.
Central Wisconsin
It never occurred to me it was not stock. Like usual I will have to figure out the best way to fix this. I will most likely replace the tank in the future. I just don't want to do it now. Thanks for the reply.
-Starman

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
It never occurred to me it was not stock. Like usual I will have to figure out the best way to fix this. I will most likely replace the tank in the future. I just don't want to do it now. Thanks for the reply.
-Starman

You figure out a way to seal it up good and let me know. I want to add them to my main and aux tank. Just haven't came up with a way to seal it.

Tim

OP
OP
S

Starman

Loc.
Central Wisconsin
duffymahoney -
Thanks for the link. I'll look into this check valve to see If i can get it to work. Maybe the one in the link snaps into rubber grommet in the top of the tank.

Tim -
I will let you know what I come up with. This has been been on back burner for a while now, but I want my truck back on the road. I will look at my main tank and see what the PO did to make that vent work. I have to assume that one is custom also. It is located on top of the tank just like the aux tank. I will take some pictures of that setup and post them tonight. I didn't look at them that close, cause I assumed I could buy a replacement from the vendor's. Thank you.
-Starman

OP
OP
S

Starman

Loc.
Central Wisconsin
You figure out a way to seal it up good and let me know. I want to add them to my main and aux tank. Just haven't came up with a way to seal it.

Tim

I added one picture comparing the aux tank vent to the main tank vent. The other picture is the aux tank. The main tank vent has a good seal. The check valve vents look the same, but the aux tank has an extra grommet holding the valve. ??????? I might pull the main tank vent out and see how it is secured in the tank. I do not want to mess it up though. I'll post some pictures if I do. Maybe someone here knows more about how these vents are secured. Thank you.
-Starman

Attachments

• Aux Tank.jpg
    Aux Tank.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Main Tank.jpg
    Main Tank.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 73

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks factory to me.
Is this a '76 or a '77 truck Starman?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So the 76-77's had this? I learned something today......Guessing WH can sell me one or two?

Apparently not. Sorry for not being clear, but I was just meaning that it didn't looked hacked or added on from the pics. Looked to me like the hole was formed into the plastic with heat by a special tool. And not just haphazardly stuck in there.

Neither of my 77 tanks had these vents.

That pretty much clears that up then. Thanks

This is a 67. Can I buy a replacement check valve for the aux tank?

Even if it had been a factory piece, I've never seen them available. Maybe from a plastic tank manufacturer, or an RV tank supplier? Not sure.
Like Timmy was saying originally though, it could have been sourced from another car in a junkyard, or it might be an available piece still, if we can figure out the original source.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That said, I think my '79 has something like that in it's plastic side tank. It's buried right now, but as soon as I can I'll take a peek to see if it's the same thing, or just a similar item.
But there was definitely something inserted into the top of the tank.

Paul

OP
OP
S

Starman

Loc.
Central Wisconsin
That said, I think my '79 has something like that in it's plastic side tank. It's buried right now, but as soon as I can I'll take a peek to see if it's the same thing, or just a similar item.
But there was definitely something inserted into the top of the tank.

Paul

This is great that there is interest in this vent. I will have to pull the main tank vent out now to see how it is secured. I'll post pictures of it. How do other Bronco tanks vent to the charcoal canister if they do not have this style vent? Is there a different port I can use to run to my charcoal canister? I believe there is an unused 5/8 barb on the main tank but not on the aux tank. The unused port on the main tank is coming off the side by the filler hose.
-Starman

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Your '67 would never have had any venting to a charcoal canister. That came out in mid-'70 or so.
From the factory, the stock steel rear tank would have had 2 quarter-inch tube fittings just forward of the filler hose. One was venting, the other the return in case any liquid went up the system, or if enough vapor was recovered, it would condense in the high mounted tank behind the driver's shoulder back into the rear tank.

The 5/8 fitting behind the larger filler neck would not normally be unused. Even your '67 would have had (I would have thought) a "fill vent" on the filler neck.
If you look up under your fender at the steel filler neck, you would see an additional tube if you had one. It would be part of the filler.
Or alternately, if you pull the cap off you would see a rough hole with a soldered edge where the tube fits.
It's possible that your early one does not have this, but if not it sounds like Ford was preparing for it in the coming production or you would likely not have had that extra fitting on the tank.

If you're going to add your own charcoal canister, I'd mount one up high. If you already have one that a PO installed, shoot some pics of it so we can see how it's laid out.
Can you tell where the old hose that was cut off used to go? Did you cut it off or was it already like that?

Paul

OP
OP
S

Starman

Loc.
Central Wisconsin
Ok. I did some digging. I pulled the vent out of my main tank and compared it to the aux tank vent. The vents in both tanks are the same. The aux tank has a larger hole cut into the top of it so the grommet of the vent does not fit. That is the reason for the extra grommet in the aux tank. It looks like the PO used a hole saw to make the holes for the vent. Great idea but bad execution on the aux tank. The main tanks is great, seals good and works good.

Aux tank - do not do this
1 3/4" hole drilled in top of tank.
Larger grommet installed part #77177-33010
Small grommet for vent and comes with the vent - grommet #E3EC-9B076-AA
Then vent installed

Main tank - do this
1 1/4" hole drilled in top of tank - using hole saw
Small grommet fits good - E3EC-9B076-AA
Vent installed

The PO cut the lip off the small grommet to fit into the large grommet then used sealer to try and seal it. I would assume he made the wrong size hole then had to try and come up with a fix.

The new part # for grommet E3EC-9B076-AA is F6TZ-9B076-AA.

This grommet and vent are used on many cars and trucks. Should be really easy to find at wrecking yard.
This should be a new part
http://www.amazon.com/Ford-E7DZ-9B5...263_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=06EZTF80AB91TSA6NW2C

Here are pictures to show what is going on.
I am also showing a picture of the charcoal canister in front of the passenger seat on fire wall.
-Starman

Attachments

• main tank grommet and vent.jpg
    main tank grommet and vent.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 48
  • comparing the two small grommets.jpg
    comparing the two small grommets.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 49
  • aux tank.jpg
    aux tank.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 62
  • aux tank large and small grommet with vent.jpg
    aux tank large and small grommet with vent.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 55
  • PB280637.jpg
    PB280637.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 64
  • main tank.jpg
    main tank.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 59

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Great info.......

My main tank is the old style with no vent so I need to do add one. Looks like just what i need.

Tim

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
An "E3" part is from '83, and an "F6" part is from '96. Good to have numbers.
At least the PO was trying to do some good. In lieu of the correct grommet parts, he should probably have used glue instead of sealer. Bonding the two rubber grommets together might have held for awhile longer maybe?

Shame he put the thing at the very top of the tank though. Yes, that's the best spot for vapors, but isn't it also in contact with the floor? Seems like you have to press those tanks right up into the floor hard to get them to mount. In that case, the trough in between the two humps might have been the better spot, even though it's not the highest point.

Does your charcoal canister have three or four hose fittings? I only see three, but most have four.
FYI, the ports on yours should connect like this:

1. The small one on the right is vapors from the tank(s)
2. If there is an additional small one, it would have been for the float bowl vent on certain carburetors. If so equipped.
3. One large port (usually the inner one, but it might not matter?) is connected to the air filter housing, usually outside of the filter.
4. The second large port stays open to the outside air, but would usually have a "mushroom" cap on top of it to keep debris and moisture out.

You don't want any of them going to full manifold vacuum unless you're running an EFI setup and the computer and harness have a working CANP (canister purge) circuit. If just carbureted, or the EFI is not set up for it, you simply let the general air flow into the engine do the sucking.

Paul

OP
OP
S

Starman

Loc.
Central Wisconsin
An "E3" part is from '83, and an "F6" part is from '96. Good to have numbers.
At least the PO was trying to do some good. In lieu of the correct grommet parts, he should probably have used glue instead of sealer. Bonding the two rubber grommets together might have held for awhile longer maybe?

Shame he put the thing at the very top of the tank though. Yes, that's the best spot for vapors, but isn't it also in contact with the floor? Seems like you have to press those tanks right up into the floor hard to get them to mount. In that case, the trough in between the two humps might have been the better spot, even though it's not the highest point.

Does your charcoal canister have three or four hose fittings? I only see three, but most have four.
FYI, the ports on yours should connect like this:

1. The small one on the right is vapors from the tank(s)
2. If there is an additional small one, it would have been for the float bowl vent on certain carburetors. If so equipped.
3. One large port (usually the inner one, but it might not matter?) is connected to the air filter housing, usually outside of the filter.
4. The second large port stays open to the outside air, but would usually have a "mushroom" cap on top of it to keep debris and moisture out.

You don't want any of them going to full manifold vacuum unless you're running an EFI setup and the computer and harness have a working CANP (canister purge) circuit. If just carbureted, or the EFI is not set up for it, you simply let the general air flow into the engine do the sucking.

Paul

And the plot thickens. Thanks for the information Paul. I was thinking the same thing about the valve being tight against the floor pan. The large grommet is for a toyota car fuel vent. That vent is much taller than the one shown here. Probably why he didn't use it after the hole was cut.

Do you know the best way to seal up holes in a plastic tank? Can I put a piece of plastic on the inside or outside and glue and screw it in place? I will google this topic also.

Do you mean the right one in my picture should go to the tank? If so my hoses are backwards. The PO had the large port to tank and the small one just hanging there. Well, I found it just hanging there, but it might have been hooked up to a ball shaped container with two bards coming out of it. Someone else here told me it was for the air conditioning but that didn't make sense. My canister only has 3 ports. One of the large ones is just open on top with no mushroom cap. I saw the caps on the other canisters and was wondering were the one was for this. I will have to research this also to straighten it out.

Small rant - It seems like every item I look at on this Bronco, the PO did a poor job on.

On the other hand I get to buy more tools and more add on's for the purple beast. ;D

-Starman