• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Axle breather tube problem Dana 44

hubdawg

Missing axle breather bolt and tube on my front Dana 44 project but it's an odd size. Took ther rear out to check size and it's too big to fit. A 3/8 bolt will thread in but I thought they were all supposed to be the same size. Trying to mount brake line connecter with no luck.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Is it a stock EB Dana 44?

If you are running a later high pinion Dana 44, the breather bolt/tube is smaller than the EB.

OP
OP
hubdawg

hubdawg

Thanks, where do I find one everyone seems to have the regular size.

OP
OP
hubdawg

hubdawg

concensus seems to be drill a 3/8 NC bolt all the way through and tap the top with pipe thread for a nipple and vent tube

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
stock housings have a 7/16-20 thread. front and rear.
teh vendors do sell a replacement vent

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
So find a vendor that deals with whatever the high pinion may have come out of.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There's not necessarily such a thing as "all use the same" when it comes to this stuff it seems. Different years, different brands, different crap.
Jeeps use a different thread than the EB's do, even though they're using Dana axles.

If your front end came from a later model, are you sure it's also a breather hole? It's very possible that it's just a bolt that holds the brake tubing on, and the breather has it's own tapered fitting where you simply plug in a brass tube fitting.

I think I've seen that layout anyway, so might be worth a double-check to see if there are in fact two holes in the housing.
If not, and you are mounting up your own new brake lines anyway, I would drill it larger using a pipe tap until the one out of your rear axle housing fits. Then get a stock replacement for an EB.
The good side of that is consistency and more easily sourcing replacement parts in the future.

Paul

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I can say with absolute certainty that in the high pinion 44 in the front of my rig that the brake T hold-down bolt hole goes all of the way thru the casting because when I got the truck it was weeping oil there. What I can't tell you is what it came from since I bought it that way.

An option would be to make the hole in the housing the right threads to work with the hollow bolt that you can easily get.