• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Axle swap advise

JSmall

Bronco Guru
I'll try to make this short. I'm going to start back on my project that has been sitting in a field for the past few years. A few years ago I purchased a 8 lug FW HP D44 and D60 out of 79 F250. At that time I planned on swaping them into my 69 because I needed upgraded axles (D30 & SB 9") got 4wheeling. I have a wanted add right now for a 76-77 EB D44 and BB 9" because I think it would be much easier to swap in a set of stock axles.

I guess what I'm getting at is what do you guys feel would be a better/cheaper option? I'm sure the FW's and stockers would need to be completely gone through so I will have that cost for both. FW I will have to fab them in and come up with a steering system. My fab skills are limited so the EB axles are looking good right now. The only plus for the FW is I already own them.

The body is ready to come off the frame and the motor will be removed so working on the axle swap should be a little easier.

Thanks,
Jaromy

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
If you are going to build the Bronco for 4x4 activities go full width - the stability is worth it.

Old-Red

Loc.
Chico, CA
If FW doesn't matter to you then you might try to find someone who would trade EB axles for your FW axles and be on the road quicker.

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
If you are going to build the Bronco for 4x4 activities go full width - the stability is worth it.

I don't 4x4 much anymore. I like the idea of a little more stability though.

If FW doesn't matter to you then you might try to find someone who would trade EB axles for your FW axles and be on the road quicker.

This would be my best option. Now if I could find someone willing to trade.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
It will absolutly be cheaper and easier to swap in the stock axles. If you are just driving on the street, then I would just clean up what you have ( D30 and SB9) and run them.

If you want a middle of the road option, then get a BB 9inch to replace the rear ( or keep what you have), and cut down the HP44 and do the chevy disc conversion using the hubs from the D30 and you will have a better than stock front axle.
Tom

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
It will absolutly be cheaper and easier to swap in the stock axles. If you are just driving on the street, then I would just clean up what you have ( D30 and SB9) and run them.

If you want a middle of the road option, then get a BB 9inch to replace the rear ( or keep what you have), and cut down the HP44 and do the chevy disc conversion using the hubs from the D30 and you will have a better than stock front axle.
Tom

The FW HP44 already has disks. I guess using what I have is another option. I just don't like the idea of keeping the D30 w/ 35's.

Thanks for the advise.

bushman

Loc.
Oregon City, OR
For what it's worth, I like trail driving and have been contemplating full widths for a while for the stability. Until I went wheeling recently on some sweet trails with a pack of Jeepers. Full widths would have kept me from all the fun, so if you will be doing Jeep type trails, stay stock width.
Also, you could try narrowing the HP44 and stay with the stock 9 inch. The big bearing can come later.
Lastly, and probably best bang for the buck, go with the FW. Maybe you can trade your stockers for a steering setup? I see you are in Newberg, I might be able to guide you to a cheap power-lock for that D60.

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
For what it's worth, I like trail driving and have been contemplating full widths for a while for the stability. Until I went wheeling recently on some sweet trails with a pack of Jeepers. Full widths would have kept me from all the fun, so if you will be doing Jeep type trails, stay stock width.
Also, you could try narrowing the HP44 and stay with the stock 9 inch. The big bearing can come later.
Lastly, and probably best bang for the buck, go with the FW. Maybe you can trade your stockers for a steering setup? I see you are in Newberg, I might be able to guide you to a cheap power-lock for that D60.

I use to 4wheel my Wrangler all the time. That was fun while it lasted so I think I'll take a different route with the Bronco. After one hard year of wheeling my TJ looked like a dented up tin can. I want the Bronco to be road worthy and hit up the sand/dirt trails once in awhile.

I think I'm going to sell the FW's and look for a D44 with disks that will bolt in. I live in Dundee right now. I don't think I've seen yours around town yet.