• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Backspacing: Clearing 77 Knuckles / Tucking Uncut Rears

tabyers

Loc.
Indiana
Hello, I have a 77 front end and need to get a wheel and tire setup to change to uncut rear quarters with a 2.5" lift. The Wheels I'm looking at come in 15x8-4"bs, 15x7-4"bs, or 15x6-3.75"bs. The tires I'd like to run are 31x10.50. I don't mind rolling the lip in on the back, or even trying to pull it out a little, or perhaps even a 1" body lift (I'd rather not). Would my best option be to get the 15x7-4" backspacing and run a thin pair of spacers on the front? Is there a wheel spec out there that I can clear the front rod ends while still clearing 10.50's in the rear without spacers? Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Probably any of those wheel choices would fit the rear with the 10.50" wide tires. But the 8's would be pretty tight.
So my personal choice would be the 7's for the look and clearance in the rear, and whatever spacer is needed to clear the steering arm/tie-rod end in the front.

Because every wheel is made differently (different lip profiles for instance) you might even find that the 4" backspacing is not a big deal on yours. It most likely is going to be one of course (probably an 85% chance of rubbing) but you never know for sure until you try it.

The 6's with 3.75 backspace would fit the rear too of course and be even easier to make fit the front. But you still have a chance of rubbing (less, but still a chance) the tie-rod ends and are limiting yourself in tire size and may not get the look you're after.

What wheels are they? Got links to the brand and style?
The lift is not really a factor here with just 31" tires, though it does open up some room in the rear if you ever decide to go larger, such as a 33x10.50 or something like that.

Paul

jrwyant

My prior '77 wheels were 15x8 alloys with 3.75" backspace, with only enough room for stick-on weights. I don't see how another quarter inch of backspace would work. I had 31x10.5 tires which hit the uncut and unrolled rear fenders when going over speed bumps, cutting a shallow groove in the tire. (This with a 2.5" suspension lift.)

I replaced all that with 16x7 steelies with 4" backspace and 235/85R16 tires, and I have much more clearance around the tierod ends and the rear fender (no rubbing.)

I remember a thread a year or two ago where someone went with15x7 wheel vintiques with 4" backspace, using quarter inch spacers in front... Here it is: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2826462&postcount=8

OP
OP
tabyers

tabyers

Loc.
Indiana
The Wheel Vintiques were what I was looking at. I have issues with weights clearance as well and was talking to Knack on here. He seems to have the look I'm headed towards and he's running 16's. So that looks like a definite possibility. I'd loose my dog dishes though I think. I'll have to look into that now. Thanks for the info. I'll try to set up for 7".

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
You may be better off with 16" wheels. It's hard to find a 16" wheel without a positive offset. My last set of 16X8 wheels would have fit nicely in an uncut and cleared the tie rods on my '77.

OP
OP
tabyers

tabyers

Loc.
Indiana
Do you remember what offset the were? I'm looking around for 16x7 3.5" steelies but they apparently aren't flooding the market with them. I'd like to run my 10-1/4" ish dog dishes too but I'm not sure if that's going to happen either. Thanks for the info.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Do you remember what offset the were? I'm looking around for 16x7 3.5" steelies but they apparently aren't flooding the market with them. I'd like to run my 10-1/4" ish dog dishes too but I'm not sure if that's going to happen either. Thanks for the info.

They were 16X8 Cragar steel wheels. They had a 5" backspace.

landshark99

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Montrose, Colorado
Iam running 31x10.5 on 15x7 slots on a 76 with 2.5" of lift. I had to put spacers on the front to clear the knuckles. No rubbing in the back. I think the slots have 4" of backspacing.

0c774a3df33f4ad38b9046a417143f92.jpg

ef18de5af8dfef997f1072bde9a18b9b.jpg

OP
OP
tabyers

tabyers

Loc.
Indiana
Yes it looks like I'm out of luck on that. I can live without, but I'm not looking forward to the wife's reaction. I've emailed a couple of steelie shops about it. There are plenty of 17's but no 16's.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
While we are talking about rims, why didn't US Mags make the 5 slots in 16"?

I feel like the 15", while original, the tire sizes are starting to trickle down in a non-Reagan fashion and the 17's are just a little too big to look right on an otherwise almost stock LUBR.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I just replaced my 16" wheels and went back to 15".
I was having a problem finding good off-road tires in 16" that weren't 10 ply rated. I can't see putting heavy truck tires on a vehicle this light.

OP
OP
tabyers

tabyers

Loc.
Indiana
I like the look of the 16's on tall skinny tires and there seems to be more choice in super aggressive, super skinny tires in 16. Plus it relieves some backspace/ clearance issues lubers with 76/76 knuckles. But the only ones I can find that will run a dog dish cap are $235 a piece.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just replaced my 16" wheels and went back to 15".
I was having a problem finding good off-road tires in 16" that weren't 10 ply rated. I can't see putting heavy truck tires on a vehicle this light.

I only use 10ply. They last so much longer. If you are rock crawling then they might not be a good idea since they aren't soft.

OP
OP
tabyers

tabyers

Loc.
Indiana
The tires im looking at come in 6 and 10 ply, 32x9r16. I'm assuming the 6 ply is what I want to go with. Is that correct?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Depends on what your goal is. But yes, for a better street ride, the 6-ply would be more desirable.
As you saw, duffy's results with the stiffer tires have been good for him in the wear department. Also would probably be a little more direct-feeling around corners perhaps.

But given the choice, I personally would always choose the 6-ply lighter duty tire for a Bronco.
Depending on the tire design, you should not lose any stability but would gain a smoother ride. There would be certain occasions when a softer tire might be more "squiggy" on the road. But in the sizes and brands we usually have to choose from, I don't see that being an issue.

All of my tires have been C-rated and I've never had one that didn't track straight and true.
Well, except for the dreaded Thornbirds that are on there now just holding the truck up while I save up for better ones. And just about any tire would qualify in that regard.

Paul