• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

33 or 35 inch tires on 16” wheels with 4” backspacing?

Ks65stang

I’ve searched and read everything I can find and still need help….please.

1976 Bronco with front D44, C4 and built 302. I’m looking at 16”x8” Procomp 69 classics wheels. I want 17”s but I don’t consider the additional wheel and tire cost worth it. I’m also considering a 315/75/R16 tire (or 34.6” x 12.4”). I don’t care about my gears or lift as I will regear and adjust the suspension as needed. Currently have 3.5” lift. I know there is a potential issue with aluminum wheels hitting at the knuckles.

If this knuckle issue exist, can I correct it with a 1/4” spacers and longer wheel studs to move the wheel backspacing to 3.75”? Also is there any potential issues for tire rub under full steering lock with 35’s and 4” backspacing? Don’t care about off road flex.

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
tires will hit the lower front wheel opening on stock fenders. the tire sidewall will hit the control arms at full lock but you can adjust the stops. and the verticle rib attached to the front wheel tub will slice the tread if the front tires. all of this is an issue on my bronco with 15" X 8" - 4 Inch back space steel wheels with 33 x 12.5 BFG Mud Terrains.in the rear the tires rub the front wheel well splash shields and can get sliced at full stuff with you biger radius tire you will hit more. best bet is to move the rear axle back an inch whic may need attention with the driveshaft.

Benny920

Back in the day I did a lot of CJ Jeep work and 33s where a nice street size tire that worked all around with a 3" lift. It sounds like 33s on these rigs rub all over body? My question is ifyou wanted a filled out wheel well and a nice size tire, would you go with a 30 or 31" tire? just curious.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The '76 knuckles are well known for clearance issues with 15" wheels. The 16" wheels should give you the room you need without throwing away the backspacing.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
do you have stock wheel openings or are your fenders and wheel wells cut?