• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bad idea, VERY bad idea

Broncobowsher

Total hack
OK, I tried to take a picture of it. The batteries were too shot. The lens only came halfway out before it lost all the juice. The spare batteries were not in the charger yet. So no pic.

The scene. My Bronco flat towing an International water truck. 1972 International 1210 wiht a 500 gallon water tank on the back (empty). Only had to make it 11 miles. I knew it was going to be tough as I pulled out of the driveway. That truck didn't want to turn. Every turn was done at about 3 MPH as the truck wanted to push my ass end sideways. It was worse then driving on ice. After the turn I would have a recipical as the truck didn't want to straighten out after the turn either. Oh how it was not fun. Top speed, 30 MPH on the long straight sections of asphault. 15-20 on the dirt. I was taking the turns very wide, slow and carefully. I could look out the window and watch the rear tires slipping sideways at the international was not wanting to change direction. It would be so easy for this thing to get jack-knifed if you were not on top of it. There is a reason I did this at 6AM on a Sunday morning, no traffic.

Broncos should not be use to flat to full size trucks.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Or other broncos! I had a similar experience once. I will not even think of doing it again.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
You need someone to steer the rig in tow while doing it.

Much easier that way..........

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Sounds like a bit too much for an EB to handle... Glad all ended well but I would not even dream of towing much more than my little boat with my EB. Short wheelbase vehicles do not tow well, regardless of how much power they have.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
I don't know what would have possessed you to do that but I probably would have done it too just to see if I could do it.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Tried that with a early 50's jeep truck. Same experience - the truck kept pushing my rearend around. Gave up after a block - too dangerous. I am amazed you made it 11 miles!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
its only a bad idea if something bad happened. Sounds like you planned it out. I've done similar things. Towed a BII 120 miles with my 03 Ranger 4x4 had similar results slow speed turns and the back end would try to push. High speed wasnt to bad of a tow.

OP
OP
Broncobowsher

Broncobowsher

Total hack
What do you know about driving on ice?? You're from Arizona..;D ;D ;D :cool:

I am from Kansas, now living in Arizona. I have driven on plenty of ice and snow. My brother taught me how to drive a stick shift in a snow covered church parking lot. I showed him how to speed shift into 2nd while doing doughnuts;D

Yes, there was prep. That is why it was done on a very empty Sunday morning, least traffic. I was hoping for at least 50 MPH on the straights, but it just wasn't going to be stable enough. So 30 it was. there really were not that many turns, there were 3 1 miles stretches and the rest was split into 2 long straights. So except for a little in the subdivision they were all flat straight roads. Besides the IH was only running a SMV triangle, didn't want to take it over 35;)