• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Baja Broncos Cactus Smasher

R Moses

Contributor
Loc.
Corbin
Does anyone know anything about Baja Broncos? I’ve been trying to contact Andrew about purchasing a Cactus Smasher.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
The Hobby's foremost authority on Stroppes. A regular contributor to this board and the Bronco community. I've met him several times both at his shop and the Wild Horses shows and swap meets.

According to his profile, he was active here on the board 34 minutes ago.

@BajaBronco

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Must have just missed you Ronnie! I know I missed your call Saturday - got the message = my apologies - I was out and about with weekend duties!

At this time I dont have any cactus smashers available. Was working with original supplier of these and have several bent using the original machines used in the 70s. Hoping to get them done soon but due to the original suppliers shop closing, we have to get someone else to finish the job. That may take a while. Thanks.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Hard Knox Fab makes a reproduction if you cant wait for Andrew's to be done. They don't call them "Cactus Smashers" but they are patterned off them.

Hard Knox Push Bar

I have one of theirs on my 78.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hard Knox Fab makes a reproduction if you cant wait for Andrew's to be done. They don't call them "Cactus Smashers" but they are patterned off them.

Hard Knox Push Bar

I have one of theirs on my 78.
That’s cool looking. Looks like something a 75 era racer would wear! Like pikes bronco.

OP
OP
R Moses

R Moses

Contributor
Loc.
Corbin
Thank you for letting me know, Andrew. I am willing to wait. I will purchase it as soon as they are available. Thank you again.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry to hear of yet another fabricator/shop/supplier going out of business. Whether Covid or not, before or after, we've sure lost a lot of them over the last 4 or 5 decades!
Good luck with the search Andrew.

Paul

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Paul, yeah, the owner operator passed at 82. He had bought the place after working with the guys who did all Stroppe’s bending in the 1970s. The size of the machines and benders and projects in the rafters was a sight to behold. I may have photos from a visit somewhere ….

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I purchased several of Andrews a couple years back so I probably have one available... Mark 619 997-9954

Zeke

Hey Guys,

I am also looking for a Castus Smasher.

I am working on my 74 to look like the 1973 Explorer I drove in the late 1970's, with period style accessories.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Scotty

I saw one at Colorado Super Celebration on Saturday in Don Allison's sales booth. He still has lots of stuff in Colorado Springs, but not the property where everything was.
I don't know how you'd reach him.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
He sold those he said. He wasn't sure what they were worth so he called me and asked.

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
I already have regret not buying the one Don had for sale at Super Celebration. He is no longer in Colorado Springs. He moved down to Penrose Colorado. I think he has the same old phone number that can be found on here with a search.

Last edited:

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
He seemed very wishy washy about selling. I offered on one, and Jim could have grabbed it for me, but he wanted to honor someone elses lesser offer. which I guess he never bought? Oh well. They looked crusty to me!