• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Battery tray & support for driver side?

WARDOG

Loc.
Graniteville, CA
Anybody know where I can a driver side battery tray with supports ?

I'm making a dual battery set-up, relocating radiator reservoir / washer reservoir.
I have skills to fab one, but would just buy one for $60 if available. I have enough to do already.
I searched all of my catalogs. Duff looked like they had one, but a phone call confirmed it was passenger side.

Thanks-

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What year EB WARDOG?
Most likely you already have the one support there. If you add another one you can just mount up a stock replacement battery tray or one of the many aftermarket ones available. We have them for stock or Optima style batteries.

Or you can simply make an additional bar/bracket that runs between the stock brace and the inner fender wall and bolt down the tray of your choice.
That's what I did, before you could just buy a pre-made factory-style brace. It's not fancy. It was thrown together one Friday night before a trip in the shed of a friend.
A stock one would look more professional perhaps, but the home-built one has worked just fine for 25 years.

Wrangler Power Products (Wrangler Northwest?) has a dual battery "kit" for the EB, but it's basically a universal tray (although a nice one) and their electronics package.
Part number is 100-300 I think, but you will likely still have to come up with the underpinnings.

Paul

ryansbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
The place of bronco
junk yard for the battery tray and top bracket.
tomsbronco parts sold me just one fender bracket.
looks just like it could have been done by ford
It even clears my f150 2wd power steering box

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Resurrecting an old thread...

I am looking at putting a second battery on the driver's side and really like the idea of adding a second support bracket.

Looking at BGs stuff, I am not sure if there is a difference in measurements between the passenger inner, passenger outer, or the driver brackets and which one I would want to install to complement the current bracket on the driver's side so I can slap a battery tray on top.

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Steel-Front-Clip-Fenders/products/773/

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I bought a WH diamond plate tray and bolted it down to the lower supports and sideways to the inner fender.
Then I copied the WH diamond plate battery tray and put one on the passenger side. Tying the supports and the inner fender in with these battery trays really tightened the front end up or atleast it feels like it.
Grabbed a Summit aluminum reservoir can to replace my overflow bottle.
I use a big manual switch to keep the batteries isolated..

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I made a bracket and mounted it to the inner fender...It is gusseted and has large washers on the wheel side...

It is a Factory tray with two holes added

Best Pics I have...

Attachments

• DSCN2115.jpg
    DSCN2115.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 151
  • DSCN2116.jpg
    DSCN2116.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 169

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Seems simple enough. One tab on the inner fender and slap a tray on top.

Thanks.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, it works as clean as it looks too.
I've got a nice triangle bracket to add to mine though, for that semi "factory" look that I like. But it's probably more work than it's worth since I have a very sanitary and stout brace there already that a friend and I made a couple of million years ago. Held up nice and ties in both the core support and the fender apron.
Just like the triangle thing though.

Regarding the dimensions of the BG stuff though Chuzie, I'm not sure if they're identical or not. But typically you'd expect to just get the left-side one and add it in. That said, I never checked to see if the dimensions are equal from the wheel house to the core support all along it's length. I have one here at the house somewhere, but have not actually trial-fitted it yet. Too many other irons in the fire.
And too much TV to watch.:cool:

Hopefully someone will have an answer for you, but Doug's bracket is pretty simple and sensible. And not too much work or in your way when trying to work in that area either. Something to think about too.

Paul

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Agreed. Now I just need to find a suitable battery tray. Off to the junkyard.