• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

bc bronco and wildhorses shorty headers

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
I might swap to shorties my self. Getting real tired of working around my long tubes... Not gonna lie though i do love my long tubes.

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I did have long tubeheaders from jamesduffy and liked them alot.Just felt with the new engine to go a different direction this time,so we will see how the shorty will do.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A healthy 351w is A Lot more motor than the stock 302.

The BCB Headers with the larger Primaries and 2 1/2" Intermediate Pipes will flow better and sound great. I installed a Gibson Muffler and 3" tailpipe. Does not drone at all and is not loud.

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
Id be curious to hear a borla muffler on that setup. Ive always known them to be quiet but still have a great tone. (PS though i like loud and obnoxious ;) )

sarens

savage, did you finish everything, now did it turn out?, I'm thinking about BC headers and 2-1 so want to know if you are happy

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
I have a 351 with 3"stainless into a borla...with 3" out behind the wheel and it sounds sweet...

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I'm running Chuck's headers. Ran them for several years with the semi-stock 351W in front of some DynoMax Turbo flo's. Sounded good, relatively quiet but they can't flow enough to support the HP this engine is now running.

Now the headers are behind a very healthy 418 strrroker... 2 1/2" mandrel bends with 2 1/2" in/out dual exhaust. I tried the DynoMax VT's... had design issues with them but nice sound at idle (except when rattling) and VERY loud when nailing it...very loud.

Now I'm running MagnaFlo's mufflers with the same system. More of a deeper mellow tone at idle but also EXTREMELY loud when hitting it. No crossover on either system. I'm going to try to put in a 2 or 2 1/4" "H" pipe over the top of the t-case output shaft (only spot that has any room) to help reduce the noise. I don't have much room due to the 4R70W/KluneV/Atlas4.3.

Both sets of mufflers were the 14" long bodied mufflers.

Good luck. If you want to be able to talk in the cab ( I run a 1/2 cab) with your wife/girlfriend while climbing a hill at 2,000 rpm, you will have to go to a longer muffler. LOUD... is the word.

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
sarens, Im waiting for the engine.Im hoping some time next week.Ive been working with the builder on combinations and what we decided to go with should get my tork range around 2000rpm at 338 torque.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
B.C.! B.C.! B.C.! My headers are fantastic and went on from above with zero hang ups but I did get a local shop to fab my 2-1 system.
:cool:

benwehmann

Loc.
Madison, WI
I'm running the WHs headers with BCs 2 in 1 exhaust system - on a 351W - 1" body lift.
I had to weld an adapter to the exhaust pipes to mate to the WH collectors . The adapter came with either the headers or the exhaust ; can't quite remember - but i know i didn't have to go look for it at a parts store.
SHX

Besides modifying the flange did they line up properly? This is exactly what I am looking at doing.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Curious too. And what SHX was saying about the adapters, they do come with the headers. Not sure if there is also one in the exhaust system, you'd likely use whichever one comes with the headers as that would match the collector flange anyway.
With our headers you get your choice of an adapter with an O2 bung or without. If you're running EFI, or even remotely think you're going to in the future, it makes sense to order them with the sensor bung and just plug it up until you need it. There's no extra cost for the header either way.

Paul

Bronco DLight

Loc.
Houston, TX - CB, CO
running BC Headers with 2 into 1 magnaflo- good sound but loud

I also have BC's headers with a new 2 into 1 magnaflo on an otherwise stock 302. The sound is great at idle, but very loud with any throttle. This may work driving in flat terrain, but I'm shipping it to Colorado for trails and don't think my fellow hikers and such will appreciate the noise going up an incline. So swapping to a Borla or Gibson might help quiet it down?

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
I have the WH shortys, and the BCB 2 in one exhaust. I did not get any kind of adapter. I had to cut the exhaust pipe on the drivers side, rotate it a bit and weld a fill in. Other than that, the fit and the sound is great. I did not get any kind of turn down with the exhaust kit, but I was able to get a 3" turn down at a local autoparts store. I used SS strap muffler clamps on all but the crossover connection behind the transfer case. I have been happy so far....Both headers are fine quality, I would have prefered the BCB header, just for ease of instalation with the BCB exhaust.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...So swapping to a Borla or Gibson might help quiet it down?

Not necessarily. A few years ago I would have though so, based on my experience with both of those brands on full-size trucks, but after a single Gibson install on an EB I changed my tune completely.
Long 2.5" inlet/outlet Gibson (straight through design of course) and though it's one of the nicest sounding setups out there, it's also one of the most obnoxiously loud setups too! Under all circumstances even.
Idle... Loud.
Cruise... Louder.
WOT... Piercing!

So while there may be models out there that are better suited and quieter, consider that you may be testing this to the limit.
You've been warned!;D

Paul

Bronco DLight

Loc.
Houston, TX - CB, CO
I THINK i'M GOING TO TRY THE wALKER 21400

Someone had a good earlier post that I found that had a good side by side comparison of the magnaflow and walker 21400 and it seemed fairly substantial (the difference). thanks for the guidance