• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BC Bronco Rear Disk Kit

7? BRONCO

Loc.
Wake Forest, NC
I've put on the BC Rear Disc Kit and am now trying to plumb the lines. I need a brake hose from the Cadillac caliper to the block on the axle. The calipers are 10mm (w/banjo) and the block is 3/16" standard ( I think). I called Chuck @ BC and he said he sells the stainless steel lines for $30 each.....sound good but I'd really like to keep things vehicle specific so I can get replacement parts in the future. Any ideas? What is everyone else doing? THANKS

Newt

This is something you break all the time? It's just a hard line that runs along the axle. I don't understand your problem.

broncodan1

???
Hey,
I think you need a hard line on each side of the block,
then a flex line at the end to go to the calipher.
I got mine from B.C.s also..
Good luck!! 8)

ponch0v

I would use Chucks lines. although I did used rubber flex lines for an early Chevelle (I think). I can find the part no. if interested. But for the few $ more each I should have gone the stainless route ::).

Also, was the install easy??

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
I don't think it's possible to get more "vehicle specific" than Chuck's line. No ordinary parts store is gonna have a Caddy to Ford brake line or adapter in stock, anywhere.

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
[quote author=broncodan1 link=board=5;threadid=15878;start=0#msg120279 date=1049174301]
???
Hey,
I think you need a hard line on each side of the block,
then a flex line at the end to go to the calipher.
I got mine from B.C.s also..
Good luck!! 8)
[/quote]

Yup, that's what I did... Hard line from the block, then SS flex line from hardline to the caddy calips. Just get the kit, it will save you so much time, yeah, it's a bit more money, but it's so easy, and it looks bad-arse... If you want I can email you a pick of what the lines look like. i've got a real good pic of that stuff...

choppy

Loc.
College Station, TX
I think what he is saying is that he wants a line that fits a certain vehicle (i.e. 1979 thunderbird) so he can get replacements anywhere. Sorry, but I have no idea of any application that will work on this.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
You could bring the block and caliper to napa with the measurement of how long you need. Or you can make your own hard line. Doulbe flares aren't too hard once you do a few practice ones.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I had the local earls dealer make rear flex lines that leaked. Then I bought chucks. Chucks work great.

jims66

[quote author=SteveL link=board=5;threadid=15878;start=0#msg120522 date=1049238793]
I had the local earls dealer make rear flex lines that leaked. Then I bought chucks. Chucks work great.
[/quote]
Did the leaks cost extra?

OP
OP

7? BRONCO

Loc.
Wake Forest, NC
OK, I hear you all-----and as usual, Chuck's is the best place to go but I'm trying to find an alternative not only b/c of the $ but also availability. I have found a Rear Brake Hose from a 90's Saturn w/RR disk work great (banjo, 90 degree angle, good hose length) EXCEPT it is metric on the opposite end of the banjo. So, I'm going to take 3/16" line w/10mm inverted flare ends and screw one into the Saturn hose and the other will be cut off and flared to fit the standard Bronco block ! No, I won't have a stainless steel hose, BUT I have the flexibility of going to an Auto Part store any day of the week and getting another hose if necessary. Also, the hoses are only $11-$13 @ Advance Auto Parts and they can get them the next day :)

So, what does everyone think? Good idea? Thanks for the responses

G

Its not something that you break every day, sure you can rig something,but it wont be as good as chucks braied line

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
The only way I could see you breaking a line would be if you snagged it on a rock/tree/cat or something, or maybe some spank-off slicing it if you have any enemies or something..
But yeah, let us know how it comes out

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
[quote author=7? BRONCO link=board=5;threadid=15878;start=0#msg120591 date=1049252499]
OK, I hear you all-----and as usual, Chuck's is the best place to go but I'm trying to find an alternative not only b/c of the $ but also availability. I have found a Rear Brake Hose from a 90's Saturn w/RR disk work great (banjo, 90 degree angle, good hose length) EXCEPT it is metric on the opposite end of the banjo. So, I'm going to take 3/16" line w/10mm inverted flare ends and screw one into the Saturn hose and the other will be cut off and flared to fit the standard Bronco block ! No, I won't have a stainless steel hose, BUT I have the flexibility of going to an Auto Part store any day of the week and getting another hose if necessary. Also, the hoses are only $11-$13 @ Advance Auto Parts and they can get them the next day :)

So, what does everyone think? Good idea? Thanks for the responses
[/quote]

That sounds like an awful lot of work to me. You want to keep the flex lines as short as possible anyway so just get some front brake lines from an '83 Monte Carlo(very cheap) and then run hard lines from the axle distribution block to those lines. The Monte Carlo lines will be 10mm banjo on one end and 3/8" inverted flare on the other end. If you use universal length hard lines from the parts store, everything in your plumbing will be common parts store pieces(and cheap to boot).

Todd Z.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
What Todd Z. said... The '83 Monte Carlo front brake lines are less than $20 each at most parts stores. Turns out that GM used them on lots of other vehicles as well, both front and rear, so they are common as dirt and parts stores generally have them in stock. The junction block on your rear axle is ported for 3/8" inverted flare fittings, same as what's on the end of the Chevy flex hose. You will need to weld a tab on the axle near the leaf spring perch to support the end of the brake hose, similar to the tabs on your front axle and the one on the frame above the rear axle. I don't remember the hole size offhand but you can make the tabs easily out of some heavy steel flat washers. Sometimes the brake hoses will come with retainer clips, otherwise parts stores usually stock those as well.

For hard line, parts stores also usually have a variety of pre-made hard lines with fittings installed- you'll want 3/16" hard line with 3/8" inverted flare fittings on both ends. Measure the distance from the tabs you welded on to the junction block on each side of the axle, then get hard lines that length or slightly longer. I've got pics of my setup I can email you if you want.

OP
OP

7? BRONCO

Loc.
Wake Forest, NC
AWESOME---THANKS to Todd Z. and LARS ! That's what I need---I'll let you know how it turns out. Plus, Todd Z. just helped me figure out a way to save some $$$ so I can buy his EFI lower radiator hose set-up !!