• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BC Broncos EFI tank

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
I installed the BC EFI tank when I converted to EFI a year and a half ago, since then my fuel gauge shows full when full and then starts dropping when I have burned approximately half a tank of fuel. it will continue to drop until empty which will occur on the gauge at the half full position. I replaced the IVR in 2000 when I rewired with a Centech kit. From what I have read the BC sending unit is a new style linear unit which is why the gauge shows wrong but most posts have there gauges doing the opposite of mine which show full at the 1/2 full mark. I realize that it is an ohm issue so I googled whether I could solder in a diode or something to make the BC sender match the original gauge and found it can be done with a 5 watt potential meter. The article that I read was all cheby stuff so the question is what ohm and or watt potential meter would I need if this is the issue. the article said they can be bought at the shack for about 3 dollars?

OP
OP
tatersalad

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
I have.. I believe i read on another post on this issue that Chuck has changed his sending unit since my purchase, I am trying not to drop the tank but rather find a simple solution that can be accessed through the wiring by changing the ohms. I will try to find the article and post it..

OP
OP
tatersalad

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
this is what I am trying to do, it seems a lot easier than dropping the tank and or buying a new sending unit when i already purchased a new one with the tank... i am just asking what ohm and watt potential meter would work on the ford gauges as they are different than the cheby stuff

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I spent lots of money and many many days trying to fix this issue. Save yourself time and frustration and get chucks new sending unit. It takes about an hour to swap them out.

There is no way to just wire in capacitors to fix it.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
The GM sender is 33-250 ohm or something like that. The old fords are 10-70 so to use the pot it would have to be a 0-50 ohm 10 turn pot and even them may not work because as you change one end the other end will also change. If your sender was say 20 to 100 you might be able to fix it with a pot by adding 10 ohms.
Better to fix your system. All EBs have potential resistances The tank mist be well grd to the frame, the frame must be grd to the body, the dash must be grd the the speedo cluster the IVR must be grd to the cluster. The hot wire must have a good connection to the front/rear sw. the sw must be good and the wire that goes from the sw to the tank sender. Very little resistance at any of those places will change the gauge. A little resistance at a few can make the gauge not work at all. My new senders are 10-70, only the center range is more accurate full and empty are the same.