• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Converting non EFI BC Broncos Tank to EFI

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There is one for sale here and want to go EFI in the future.

Is is possible/easy to convert the tank to EFI for one of the after market EFI?

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Howdy. i found one from a member last year that was non EFI and i am building EFI. I understood that you have to buy the EFI pump clamp and wiring kit. The KIT is one their website item 11-31214 which they state as for the 255 liter pump. not sure if there are any differences between 255 and lower volume options.

I have my parts but havent bought the pump yet so i cant comment on the actual process yet.

Hank

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Depends if you want to put the pump in the tank or not. If not nothing is needed and you put the high psi pump on the frame rail. If you want the pump in the tank you would have to cut it and find a way to mount the pump. I think a lot of people run the tank on the rail And it s fine

TN1776

Bronco Guru
BC simply bolts the pump to a baffle, and connects a short length of hose to the pickup tube. You should be able to do this through the sender access panel. Might be a challenge drilling the baffle, but where there's a will there's a way. A small right-angle drill should do it.

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I seem to recall the baffle in mine was already drilled. Don't quote me. I can check when I get home from work travels

Hank

70_Steve

Old Guy
Depends if you want to put the pump in the tank or not...
I think a lot of people run the tank on the rail And it s fine
I would be one of those that runs the external hi pressure pump on the frame rail. E2000 pump, been running fine for about 5 years now...

Galt72

Contributor
What I did was get at external f250 pump from pick and pull. If I remember right it's mounted inside the frame rail below the drivers door. Plumbed it in and never an issue.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would be one of those that runs the external hi pressure pump on the frame rail. E2000 pump, been running fine for about 5 years now...

Do you have a high pressure and a low? I think I want to try running just a high.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Do you have a high pressure and a low? I think I want to try running just a high.

I think Steve has that configuration. That's what I have and it works fine in my particular setup. In fact, I've been running the same $20 junkyard Bosch pump since I did my EFI conversion in 1997.

Todd Z.

70_Steve

Old Guy

I think Steve has that configuration. That's what I have and it works fine in my particular setup. In fact, I've been running the same $20 junkyard Bosch pump since I did my EFI conversion in 1997.

Todd Z.
duffymahoney, I just run the high pressure pump. When planning the fuel system I paid attention to all the threads and posts about the various pump combinations, with and without accumulators, and decided on the KISS principal. One single high pressure pump, and if I had problems I'd address them at that time.

I did go one step better than Todd as I'm running a new pump. A $30 no-name special I got off Ebay.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Do the external pumps run continuously once the key is on or do they "pump up" and shut off till more fuel is needed?

Tim

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Do the external pumps run continuously once the key is on or do they "pump up" and shut off till more fuel is needed?

Tim

Mine runs for a second or two when you first turn the key on to pressurize the system and then shut off until the engine is started.

Todd Z.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.

Tim

They run all the time when the engine is running. They "pump up" with the initial key on, but once the engine is running, fuel is always needed. The fuel pressure regulator is always returning fuel back to the tank.

Mark

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
The three most common seem to be the Airtex E2000, Walbro GSL392, and the Bosch 69100 (stock external on 85-89 Ford F-Series, Rangers, etc.). Bosch 044 would also be a good choice but it's a lot more $$.

Todd Z.

bogshotrods

Loc.
Sugarloaf
Anybody here converted a BC Broncos 23 gallon tank to an EFI IN TANK fuel pump ?? Tired of dealing with vapor lock issue when it get hot and the gas is less than 1/2 full. I have been running 1 high pressure pump on the rear cross member for 8 years and until it warms up it works fine. Tried moving the fuel lines outside the frame rails, built heat shields on the exhaust, and same for the fuel pump

Thanks

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Anybody here converted a BC Broncos 23 gallon tank to an EFI IN TANK fuel pump ?? Tired of dealing with vapor lock issue when it get hot and the gas is less than 1/2 full. I have been running 1 high pressure pump on the rear cross member for 8 years and until it warms up it works fine. Tried moving the fuel lines outside the frame rails, built heat shields on the exhaust, and same for the fuel pump

Thanks

I am curious. Do you have the evap system hooked up? Any chance you are building pressure in the tank that isn't venting?

Eric