• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BC Broncos Soft Top Install-Part 1

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
man these tops look awesome!!! i so want one...just wish they have a good sale on these soon...trying to save some money. this is the next big thing on my list

70Sport

Loc.
Santa Cruz, CA
How is the wind noise on these tops? Do they flap as much as some of the other tops? I have an old STC top and the flapping noises are having me consider going back to a hard top.

sbolejack

Loc.
Rogers, AR
Had a lot of flapping with my Bestop, but not getting that with this one. I will never go back to my hard top.

Baja71

Bronco Guru
My Bestop flapped a lot too. The fitment looks great, but how water tight are these tops?

sbolejack

Loc.
Rogers, AR
Haven't put through a water test yet, but think it should be better than my Bestop. Especially around the doors.

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Time for a car wash! ;) When I had a Bestop on mine, a storm came through and the next AM, I opened the door and it looked like someone had a water balloon fight in it, all over the seats and everywhere. About 2-3 weeks later, I started my frame off. When I pulled my rubber mat out, there was standing water, not just on the floorboards, but up higher, under the driver's seat. The jute backing on the rubber mat was soaked. It may have never dried out. If Chuck's soft top isn't near waterproof, I don't think there is a soft top is for me. It's the only one that looks remotely sealed.

Last edited:

Baja71

Bronco Guru
That it does. I keep coming back to this thread. Not a better looking soft top out there on an EB, IMO.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice write-up.

-I have isntalled my BC top but the rear arch is bending forward.

-It looks as if you have a small gusset welded on yours.

-If so, did it come that way from BC or did you add it.

-i am concerned mine may become a problem in the future.

BI

OP
OP
Bituman

Bituman

Loc.
Phoenix Mtn Preserve
Bronco Italiano, I have not updated this thread in a while and your question reminded me I need to. Here's the scoop. I had bad fitment problems on the back side of the top, by the rear hoop. I sent Chuck a LOT of photos showing the problem, measurements, etc. You are correct, there is a gusset that stiffens my rear hoop and that turned out to be part of the problem. According to Chuck, some time back he changed his design to include that gusset due to the bending issue you and evidently others experienced. However, one advantage of your hoop bending is that it actually helps the fitment in the rear by "self adjusting." Chuck came to the conclusion that a better design would incorporate an adjustable rear hoop. Chuck sent me a prototype of that some weeks back. Unfortunately, that was during a period when I was working a lot of hours, trying to fix up my old Porsche to sell, and also swapping out my engine. Therefore, I have not had a chance to install the new, adjustable hoop. The adjustable hoop is same as yours, no gusset, but with rod end bearings (exactly like windshield stiffeners) that are used to make slight angle adjustments to the hoop. They run between the top rail (I think) and hoop. Just looking at Chuck's new design, I can already tell it will solve my rear fitment problem. It's a very simple and clever fix.

With any luck, I'll get my truck back from paint shop next week (needed new hood with new engine:mad:). Then I will finally be able to install the new rear hoop. I could go on and on about how patient Chuck was in helping me solve this problem. I'll just summarize and say it's an outstanding example of a vendor backing their product. Chuck if you see this and I've misrepresented anything, please feel free to correct.

BI, please rattle my cage in a couple weeks and I should be able to post up some photos of the top install finished.

Bob

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Thank you for the update. We use the mod on all the tops now and have had good reports. The rear hoop will now adjust 1.5"

OP
OP
Bituman

Bituman

Loc.
Phoenix Mtn Preserve
Thank you for the update. We use the mod on all the tops now and have had good reports. The rear hoop will now adjust 1.5"

Wow, that's a huge amount. Mine only needed a half inch of adjustment. I've been focused on so many other things the last few months, it will be good to get closure on this project that basically started during my visit with Roxanne and Jason last August. Stay tuned.

Bob

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
so I'm getting ready to pull the soft top trigger, best top or BC top?

JSmall

Bronco Guru
New design

null_zpsb6f25228.jpg

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
jsmall...i dont have a rear support like that. why was it changed and what does it do? i got my top from a guy who bought it 6 months ago...wish mine had that mod...dayum