• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BC Broncos Soft Top Install-Part 1

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Great Mod there....

New design

null_zpsb6f25228.jpg

JSmall

Bronco Guru
jsmall...i dont have a rear support like that. why was it changed and what does it do? i got my top from a guy who bought it 6 months ago...wish mine had that mod...dayum

I believe that is the new design that Chuck and Bituman are referencing in their last few posts. The directions have not been updated for the new design so I assume you use the turnbuckles to adjust the rear hoop if needed. Above, Chuck says the rear hoop can be adjusted 1.5" now.

OP
OP
Bituman

Bituman

Loc.
Phoenix Mtn Preserve
I believe that is the new design that Chuck and Bituman are referencing in their last few posts. The directions have not been updated for the new design so I assume you use the turnbuckles to adjust the rear hoop if needed. Above, Chuck says the rear hoop can be adjusted 1.5" now.

Yes, this exactly.
Bob

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
-Without buying a new top, how do i get one of these modded pieces?

-Does Chuck have a kit he can send to owners of the old style that are having issues?

BI

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Great write up.

Does the top fabric also attach to the loops at the interior? Kind of like a factory jeep soft top does.

Thanks,
Tyler

bchesley

Teal68,

No it does not. There really is no need to either. The top piece is such a tight fit that it is not needed.

ghost66

Bronco Guru
I installed one of these tops a few weekends ago, glad to see these pics I had no idea the turnbuckles were for the back hoop until I read this. Thought they were for the windshield frame. Love the top, very sturdy and has a great look to it

dmplatt

Bitumen - what color is that (sorry if I missed it somewhere in the thread...) and how is it holding up to dirt/stains/sun? Seems like it is something like Parchment, but I don't spot an obvious match on the sample card on their site. I'm looking to add one of these before spring!

OP
OP
Bituman

Bituman

Loc.
Phoenix Mtn Preserve
Any updates on the soft top?

I'm still rocking the BC soft top after 5 years. Sorry that I haven't gotten back to some of your questions. The last few years I've not spent much time wrenching or driving the Bronco or here. What I discovered is that my hobby was building it, but not so much driving it. Anyway, I still like the BC top. It's holding up well and of very high quality.

The fit has gotten better over the years, in other words it stretched to fit not quite so tight around some of the corners. I still have the same wrinkles at the top rear sides. One or two of the snaps are still a PITA to snap, but that's not such a big deal. Being in Phoenix, it has only been in the rain once...and no leaks! I've been pondering buying another set of fabric pieces as a hedge against BC disappearing at some point in the future. I'm not saying there is a durability problem, but you never know what can happen.

I have never replaced the stock wiper mechanism cover that I had to delete when I installed the top. BC was starting to sell one about the time I installed the top. But I never got around to investigating that. I really need something because not having that gives the interior an unfinished look. If anyone has a photo of the BC wiper mechanism cover installed, or something similar, I would appreciate seeing it.

Anyway, probably more info than you wanted broncoloco. Bottom line: I would buy the BC soft top again.

Bob

OP
OP
Bituman

Bituman

Loc.
Phoenix Mtn Preserve
The vendors sell these in black or white:

Thanks Teal, hadn't seen that. I'll take a look at some vendor sites. Black or white wouldn't be my favorite color. But I think I could easily paint it some other color. Didn't see provisions for sun visors. Maybe I'm being too picky.

Thank you again.

Bob

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Thanks Teal, hadn't seen that. I'll take a look at some vendor sites. Black or white wouldn't be my favorite color. But I think I could easily paint it some other color. Didn't see provisions for sun visors. Maybe I'm being too picky.

Thank you again.

Bob

Good point. Visors no longer work!

sabeutel

I just installed my BC Bronco soft top onto my 70. I don’t work on cars too much and I usually take the Bronco in for whatever it needs. So if I could do it, I imagine all of you could as well. I was a little intimidated but I just went for it. Just read the directions carefully and you will get it done. It was actually kind of fun. And it looks great.

This original thread was very helpful with the tips and pictures.

BCH BRCO

Mad,
Do you have a photo with a view the tailgate/back window? Also what is involved to “open” the rear window and retrieve a set of golf clubs and them close the window. Snaps, zipper or Velcro?

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Mad,
Do you have a photo with a view the tailgate/back window? Also what is involved to “open” the rear window and retrieve a set of golf clubs and them close the window. Snaps, zipper or Velcro?

you can see one edge on this pic. The tailgate attacnment is Velcro while top and sides are snaps.

21457666_10210261459278989_4680990588268463483_o.jpg

DWALKER

BC sells a cover for the wiper motor. You can get it with a dome light and a set of speakers. It’s a nice add on to the top