• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BC vs. Tom's 4R70W crossmember differences

badandy73

Contributor
Broncoholic
Have you actually installed and tested the front drive shaft clearance and the cross member. Here is a picture of mine without any shim. View attachment 928490
Without a shim my drive shaft hit the cross member and was above the pinion yoke. How much suspension lift do you have? I have the Duff 2.5" lift. I ended up with a 1" shim, because I had the material on hand. I may have gotten by with as little as 5/8" shim. You can see in the second picture, where the paint is scuffed on the crossmember from the driveshaft. View attachment 928491

Same thing on mine w/o a shim, less than 1/4" clearance.

@tomsoffroad76

OP
OP
skrit

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
Have you actually installed and tested the front drive shaft clearance and the cross member. Here is a picture of mine without any shim.
Without a shim my drive shaft hit the cross member and was above the pinion yoke. How much suspension lift do you have? I have the Duff 2.5" lift. I ended up with a 1" shim, because I had the material on hand. I may have gotten by with as little as 5/8" shim. You can see in the second picture, where the paint is scuffed on the crossmember from the driveshaft.
I have not test fit the front driveshaft yet but will as soon as my front and rear axles are assembled and put back on the frame. It does look a little tight like I mentioned but once everything is assembled - I will check and report back.