• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BCB Underdash AC Unit

pierr

Loc.
Gordon,GA
Any experiences out there w/ the BC Underdash A.C. unit? This unit looks a lot more retro than the complete unit(that replaces the heater & everything) & the install should be(?) less work. Making a mild resto-mod. out of my '73 Explorer & want to keep it as original appearing as possible, while finding some way to deal w/ this 100 degree heat/humidity in Ga. Thanks again.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I've had both the Mark IV and the Vintage air. Both make cool air but the Vintage Air moves lots more air. The stock alternator may even be marginal since it pulls a lot of amperage on high speed. Also the Vintage Air with the underdash registers allows you to place the registers where they will do the most good rather than where it is convenient on the dash. The only drawback for the Vintage Air unit is that now you don't have outside air for the heater. It uses the compressor for defrost but I still miss the outside heated air in the winter.

OP
OP
P

pierr

Loc.
Gordon,GA
Thanks blubuckaroo & Madgyver for the info./advice. I'm already looking into an alternator upgrade(probably a 3G from the junkyard) unless you guys think different. Oh and Madgyver... I won't be doin tha Milwaulkee band saw thingy to my radiator support that you did on your link. LOL. Thanks again!

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
I just finished my BCB unit that replaces the heater. It isn't hard to put in. If you use the stock controls and under dash vents, it would be a piece of cake.