• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Been gone a while....WTH????

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
I bought a Bronco 6 months ago, called my insurance co. (Hagerty) and told them I wanted it insured for $36,000.

The response I got back was "is that all?...we have commonly been insuring these early Bronco for $55-60k recently without question or extra pictures"

Its all relative. I'm thrilled that values of Classic Bronco's continue to go up! Reminds me of an old saying "cheap shyt aint't good, and good shyt ain't cheap". The laws of supply & demand are always the champion :)

OP
OP
carhauler

carhauler

Loc.
Harford Co. MD
I hear and understand what everyone is saying. I guess I'm still pissed for selling mine and know it was a mistake. But, I want back in BAD. Yes, I would much rather spend that money on an EB vs. a jeep. I will never buy a jeep but a bank would finance that where they won't do an EB. To most people, these are just 40+yr old trucks.

We'll see what happens. I have some things to unload while I look for what I want.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
I would pay 20k plus for a few i sold for less than 10k in the last 4-5 years. I got out of early Mustang Fastbacks and convertibles when i thought prices went crazy....Broncos are following this trend.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Doesn't seem to be dropping around my way. I was just looking for that moron's CL ad to post up but I guess he took it down. There are rigs on the for sale board here, right now for less money, that 20x the truck I looked at today. Its really beginning to piss me off....

I wanted you all to see the BS going on in some parts of the woods.

I didn't say the prices were back to where they were before, just that one with the back 18 inches of frame rusted away isn't over $10,000 on CL.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
car hauler I feel your pain. Solid trucks in our area are almost impossible to find. And when you do they are high dollar! I have been looking for a truck to make a daily driver out of for 3 years and still haven't found one in that is worth building. I made the mistake of buying one with out looking at it in person and got burned. I have considered selling my 67 but like others have said even if I got top dollar for it I couldn't replace it with a better truck. I have noticed the prices of rusted out or really rough trucks seems to have leveled off or maybe even dropped a little. But something with out rust.........those are gold! Good luck with you search you will find something!

OP
OP
carhauler

carhauler

Loc.
Harford Co. MD
EP67, I run cars down to Salisbury weekly. I used to see EB's sitting in driveways , fields, behind barns from Easton all the way down. Now, Nada!!

Maybe I've just been out of it too long. I can completely appreciate what a well built nicely done rig will bring at sale. I'm just more of a build it vs. buy it kind of guy. What I just can't fathom is how Junk is bringing the money it brings.

Just gonna have to wait til the right thing pops up.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Something is only worth what someone else will pay for it. Right now the EB is desirable and getting harder to find, so price is rising. I luckily got bit by the EB bug in 2007 and bought my rust bucket for $2500. I remember doing the deal and the seller was asking $2500 and I drove out, looked at it and handed him $2500. He looked surprised and said aren't you going to haggle? I said usually, but not this time. I just want the darn thing. It was complete and I figured a good enough foundation for restoration. I feel your pain regarding how the prices have jumped. That has happened to me before on some other hobbies. Hopefully you will stumble onto a deal.

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I hear and understand what everyone is saying. I guess I'm still pissed for selling mine and know it was a mistake. But, I want back in BAD. Yes, I would much rather spend that money on an EB vs. a jeep. I will never buy a jeep but a bank would finance that where they won't do an EB. To most people, these are just 40+yr old trucks.

We'll see what happens. I have some things to unload while I look for what I want.

My bank financed the purchase of my bronco. I only took out a 3 year loan however and had it paid back in 1, but that's how I managed to fund getting my bronco back. I'm sure they would have done a 4 year loan if I had wanted.

Good luck!

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't see less than $15K average asking price for anything that runs here in NorCal on CL. In the 20s for anything remotely nice. $6K plus for non running incomplete projects.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Your new 4 door full tilt jeep is close to 40 grand. Now a used full tilt semi restored Bronco should at least be 20 grand and going up from there. Face it our dollar doesn't buy what it use to. After this point I find exceeding 40 grand nuts in comparison to what you can buy new. Obviously my point of view is too cheep and narrow compared to what the Richie Rich are paying.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Two years ago I wanted an Fj40. I bit the bullet and paid what I thought was an insane price then for the truck. Anyway, I've see the value triple, so don't feel so bad now about my purchase. But then again I didn't buy it as an investment, I bought it because you only live once, I wanted to drive and enjoy it and I can't take my money with me anyway.

patterdale

Bronco Guru
I'm in Bemidji, mn check Elmer out in our garage. Got him @5 years ago for 10.3k.there is one nw of here in grygla that is a little worse shape with a crap load more miles for 10k. (Craigslist) . The only thing I have done to Elmer is replace the fuel pump. The only thing that doesn't work right on him is the radio. When we bought him he had less than 15k miles. I think we got a helluva deal and the one for sale isn't a bad deal.either. The fun part is these babies went for 2500k-3000k new back then.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Every old car goes thru this
He'll even Pacers and gremlins and pintos are bringing good money now

Remember every desirable classic car was at some point just a worn out 15 yr old gas guzzler

Even shelbys and superbirds and cars that are now worth huge money were in the late 70s-early 80s just Junkers

A more recent example of this is the "tuna boat" 70-73 mustangs
10 years ago you couldn't give one away , you could buy a decent driveable convertable or fastback for $3500
now I see em selling in the teens and twentys and even higher
If you bought a big boat mustang 15 years ago you could add a zero on the price you paid and resell it in a week

I'm 50 years old and I remember seeing shelbys and superbirds in junkyards when I was a kid
Rows of fastback mustangs etc

In the 80s you couldn't give away gas guzzling muscle cars
I and all my friends bought them as our first cars because they were the cheapest car you could find

In 79 my brother bought a 68 mustang for $500 and drove it all thru high school
My best friend bought a 72 Trans am for $1200 and drove it till he had kids and a minivan

In Carter America , The bigger the engine , the cheaper the car .

One of my buddy's had bought a 440 4 speed superbee for $1000 and she drove it for years

In '82 I bought a 69 Mercury cyclone Cale Yarbrough edition for $275 and drove it for two years and sold it for $600

20 years ago early Broncos were sitting in every backyard in rural areas
They had gotten too old and unreliable to be daily drivers and not worth anything to sell so they just got shoved out back to sit

The next vehicle that's gonna shoot up in value is K-5 Blazers
The 88-91s are already going up noticeably

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
I'm almost 57. Roundhouse, you are spot on. IMO, those K-5 Blazers are really rust buckets. I wouldn't ever want one. But now, I had a 1972 Chevy Blazer back in 1985. I bought it for $2500. It got 8 mpg. Sold it for $3600. I wish the hell I had kept that one. Had a 350, auto trans. Timing chain broke on me once. I didn't realize at first what happened and cranked it. The 350 is an interference engine, so of course I bent a valve. Removed the head during the repairs to replace the valve. Saw the size of the intake valves. Wow, no wonder the thing burned so much gas. Big ass valve says yeah man, give me that gas.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
What about big broncos? You can still find some decent 78-79 broncos for reasonable prices. I have seen a few while looking for EBs that were sweet and priced in the $2,500 to $6,000 range.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
At this point you have three choices:

1) Pay the BIG $$$$$

2) Buy one in rough shape for as cheap as you can and build it.

3) Give up the idea of having a Bronco.

Choice number 2 may be best done by looking south or southwest, going on vacation and cruising the back roads until you find one in someones yard with weeds growing around it.
For inspiration:
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57618&highlight=in+the+weeds

I paid more for my current Bronco than either of the others, nearly as much as both, and it isn't in as good of condition.
I bought it before the most recent wave of crazy prices.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
What about big broncos? You can still find some decent 78-79 broncos for reasonable prices. I have seen a few while looking for EBs that were sweet and priced in the $2,500 to $6,000 range.

This, plus you get most of the upgrades that EB people spend a ton of money on after the purchase. :-X

If I hadn't found my trail rig cheap a few years ago thats the route I would be forced to go.