• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Before I select Hydro Boost one more question?

Frankenhorse

Loc.
Smyrna,TN
What happens if your engine dies? Like if you kill it on a hill. Not that it has ever happened ;D ;D ;D . Are you stll able to operate the breaks. This knowing that there is alot of fluid to push wondering if my wife is driving she will be able to stop.

Tgure

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix
Yes if engine dies you have a reserve that gives you braking power for a couple more stops. ;D

Last edited:

ransil

Bronco Guru
I was doing some work on my buddies '85 F600 dump and his hydro-boost has an electric pump connected to it, anyone seen or use one ?

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
elec pump is interesting....

but yes.. engine dies, so does your source of 'assist' ... same with vaccuum... but it basically makes it like non-assisted brakes... they will still work... just more effort

OP
OP
Frankenhorse

Frankenhorse

Loc.
Smyrna,TN
You guys are great help. I know you have a little reserve with vacuum but didn't know anything about hydro. Any info on the is worth the read.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Frankenhorse said:
What happens if your engine dies? Like if you kill it on a hill. Not that it has ever happened ;D ;D ;D . Are you stll able to operate the breaks. This knowing that there is alot of fluid to push wondering if my wife is driving she will be able to stop.

Well not to worry, you have a reserve and with Hboost one of the only "straight through" boost systems. If you look at a Hydroboost unit, you will see a small silver or cadnium plated cylinder about 2 inches in diameter and about 4 inches in length screwed to the side of the unit. This is the accumulator. Just like the name says, it collects enough boost to stop you at least twice. Some systems more, rarely less. When this depressurizes the brake system converts to standard, unassisted brakes courtesy of the straight through design of the units.
Probably one of the safest systems around, even I had to really work at screwing it up and even then it just would not work. It defaulted to standard brakes until I figured out the problem.
Have NO fear FANTASTIC brakes
TOFIC

Buckin74

Loc.
San Diego
:cool: Defiantly the most effective braking system for EB's on the market today. Like the other threads, Hydroboost units are safe and offer a reserve for up to 5 uses before depleating the assist portion. I have gone from so so brakes to million dollar stopping power with the hydroboost unit. One of the easiest items to install on a Bronco.

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
Not all of the Hboost systems have the external accumulator. Mine is internal.

The reserve was explained to me as the first stop will have like 90% assist, second like 50%, third 25%......

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Hydroboost does one amazing thing when you loose your assist, and all of the resureve. It does NOT fight you. Vacuum brakes resist pedal pressure when the vacuum is gone, but hydroboost feels just like old fassion non-power manual brakes. I tried it a few weeks ago. Engine off, parked on a hill, pump the brakes several times, and then start coasting. At the bottom of the hill I could still stop, just felt like the old days when I had to use leg power. I bet I could still lock them on dry pavment if I tried hard enough.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Bronchole said:
Not all of the Hboost systems have the external accumulator. Mine is internal.

The reserve was explained to me as the first stop will have like 90% assist, second like 50%, third 25%......

The internal accumulator units work the same as the external ones-you just don't have as many available pumps of the brakes before the assist is gone.

Todd Z.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Bronchole said:
Your brake pedal will lose that fight (been there, done that)
Was that with hydroboost or vacuum assist?
I know that I can stop the same or better better with my hydro unit with all the boost pumped out of it then when it was running manual 1-1/8" master cylinder, which is better then the 1-1/4 that I was running when I first put on the disk brakes.

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
With the H-boost, after all of the reserve had been depleeted. bent a twist in the pedal rod trying to hold it on a hill. I am a big biy and can leg press a little higher than most!

Somthings gotta give!