• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Before the tear down, should I try to start it?

Dave_in_Texas

Loc.
Denton, TX
Guys-

I'm just about to start the tear down phase of my restoration and was wondering if I should try to start my Bronco. It hasn't been started in 17+ years, but the engine does turn freely. It was originally parked due to a broken column shifter which never got fixed and hence the Bronco was forgotton about...for a long time.

I don't have keys for it (I do have a title!), but maybe one of ya'll could tell me how to hot wire a car. :)

So, is i there any benefit to starting her up?...knowing I'd need to put in new plugs, wires, coil, and run through the carb? Regardless of the outcome, it still needs to be rebuilt.

I'm leaning towards not starting it, but please let me know if I should reconsider.

Dave

PS-It isn't drivable either...seats are out and there are no brakes.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
If it had brakes at all I'd take it for a spin around the block just to do it. my 76 that I am doing a ground up on I bought it, drove it home and ripped it apart. Bugged me so bad that I couldnt drive it that I went and bought another, then another, then another.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
Dont bother if your gonna rip/rebuilt it. Chances are the carbs gummed up and the oil should be changed and so forth. Put the wrench to it.

byson1

Loc.
Nashville
I would not try. You take too big of a chance doing damage. Your crankshaft and pistons/cylinders may be in good shape right now but by starting it you could spin a bearing, break a ring, drop a valve, etc.. Unless you plan on putting a complete other motor in it it's not worth it IMO.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
Definitely start it. If you start it you will have motivation to get it back to that point. You're gonna tear it down anyway no sense in not doing it. Believe me when I say that projects stall for whatever reason and sometimes you need that extra bit of ambition to get it back on track. This doesn't mean go out with a battery and jump the solenoid. Do all the steps to make sure you are not going to damage that engine. The carb will probably be toast anyway and perhaps someone on here has a carb sitting around for you to use or that could be your first rebuild. There is a lot of information on here for long duration sits and starts. Check it out.

Does the clutch disengage when you press the pedal?

reynard101

Bronco Guru
Well, it's really up to you. Sounds like you've upped your interesting in hearing it run. As the others have said, if it's coming apart, why mess with it, save your money and tear it down. To get it running it would cost time and money, but if it intrigues you that much go for it.

As far as hot wiring, might as well get a new ignition tumbler and door lock set from one of the Bronco vendors. Only about $45, you're going to new a new key set anyway.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Jeepster said:
Dont bother if your gonna rip/rebuilt it. Chances are the carbs gummed up and the oil should be changed and so forth. Put the wrench to it.

x2. I have yielded to the "I am God of Motors..thou shalt yield to my powers" urge many times and made motors that sat for more than 50 years (no..that is not a typo) git up and run. But its nothing but an ego massage for me and seldom has diddly to do with furthering progress on a build/resto project.

But there is still something deeply satisfying about bringin an old hunk to life when all around have proclaimed it dead and gone;D

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
I'd start it. Knowing the condition of the drivetrain, whether good or bad, would give me peace of of mind during the resto project. Also it's easier to set a budget if you know the condition of everything.
It would be major sucky if at the end your restoration you fire it up only to hear a horrendous rod knocking.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Hot wiring it

Does it have points or an electronic ignition?
If it's points, run a jumper from the battery to the I post of the solenoid to activate the ignition. Use another wire or a screw driver or something to momentarily connect the S solenoid post to power to crank the starter.
I've never had to hot wire an electronic ign before so I don't know if there is more to it or not.

z70what

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Johnson City
if you're going to toally rebuild it.. i wouldn't bother... i'd make sure the wiring is good to the starter.. and the ignition and stuff.. then i'd tear it down, and put a fresh...rebuilt.... motor in 'er and then fire it up..

Luke

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I would start it. no seats and no brakes hasn't stopped me from starting a vehicle before. I recently picked up an international 1210 with title for $20. I could have gone and parted out the D60 and T19 and junked the rest real fast. Instead I threw in a borrowed battery, some carb cleaner and fired it right up. At least until the carb cleaner ran out. Poured a can of brake fluid in the dry master cylinder and bleed the brakes, got 3 out of 4 working. This thing is fun. It is now being converted into a farm tractor.

Basicly it keeps your diagnosis skills sharp. Some fuel, a little spark, running engine. If you hurt it by starting it, it probably already has damage or will recieve damage when disassambling. If it fires up, has a good timing chain, doesn't smoke, it may not even need a rebuild or you can put it off until later. Hint: it is much easier to drive around a project then to push, pull and trailer around a project. It also take up less room if only half the truck is scattered around the place instead of the whole truck.

texastreasures

Start It

You definately should start it first because it does something to you mentally. makes you feel better about your deal as well as shows the broncos heart is still good. I still get the feeling there is life in a vehicle that has been setting for a long time (10 years plus) when you can put a new battery in and the lights all come on. love that feeling. Ohh yeah be sure to pull the plugs and coat the cylinders with a little mystery oil before turning it over with the starter.
Good Luck See you at a roundup someday.

Last edited:

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I would not start it. No way. Its been sitting for so long no sense in scratching up a cylinder wall or turning a dry bearing. There is just no point in it.

bax

Triggerman

Loc.
Henderson TN
Never really heard of anyone doing damage to a long sitting motor by starting it that didnt have damage before when it was parked. Im sure some have though. Like others have said it would be great experience getting it to fire up.

mrw

Loc.
MassHole
Like a couple of guys said, it will motivate you to get the job done sooner. Definitley fire her up and breath a little life into her before you start her rebirth!

OP
OP
Dave_in_Texas

Dave_in_Texas

Loc.
Denton, TX
I'm glad to hear lots of ya'll favoring starting it up. :) I think I'll try to do just that in the next couple of weeks. It would be very very cool if I could get it to run!

Dave

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I picked up a beat '68 parts truck from another guy on here...and I do mean beat...strcitly a parts-only rig. But the 289 was till intact and so I just 'had' to see if it would run. R&Red the carb to get the mud daubers out of it..hooked up a boat gas tank (word of advice..do not EVER try to start anything that's been sitting for a long time on its own fuel system...use a gas can or boat tank connected directly to the fuel pump)..

Piddled around for 3 or 4 hours..and it fired up. Had one of the loudest rod knocks I've ever heard..LAMO..but it did come in handy for moving the thing around the property without dragging it behind the tractor.;D

daj

Pull the plugs pour some oil down the holes and crank it! No not with a crank, the starter. Now run a wire to the + side of the coil, pour some gas down the carb and see what happens. If(when) it starts get in and see if everything works. gear box ,trans case , etc....then fix what ever is in need of help.
Well that's what I would do, it's more fun that way.

Last edited: