• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Beginning Welder Questions

spreadmonkey

Loc.
Austin, Tx
I am looking for my first welder. I have very little experience (I have welded with a friends MIG once and did ok)

Does anyone have this one? I know someone who has a new one still in the box he is selling for $300

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentdatasheet.aspx?p=59615

I'm looking to spend around $300 so if there is a better deal out there for the price I would be interested in that also.

Last edited:

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I would not call it an inferior method. Gas will give you a nicer looking weld and allow you to weld thinner material. I still use fluxcore welding for welding heavier materials. With a 120V unit I use both. With a 230V unit you can use gas for both thin and heavier materials. But don't try to do any sheetmetal/body work with fluxcore.

I highly suggest getting an auto-dimming hood and just let your buddies watch using the hand held mask that comes with the Lincon unit! ;D

bighorn

Just my .02, if you have access to a 220V plug, don't invest in a 110V unit. You can find some very nice hobby 220V welders used for that and it gives you much more flexibility. I would also recommend setting up with gas. Trying to weld sheet metal with flux core is PITA.....it can be done and done well but very frustrating for a beginner.

ryan_289

Loc.
Russellville, AR
I have a pro mig 140 lincoln that came from Lowes. It will weld around 1/8" steel with gas. Its a good unit. Looks like the one you are looking at would be fine for most things. I have an arc welder/generator for welding heavy duty stuff. However, after getting spoiled to the wire welder, my next one will be a 220!

justinoshea

Contributor
Loc.
Gilbert, AZ
I recently picked up a similar lincoln, how thin is too thin of sheet metal for the flux core? seem ok with exhuast tubing and such. then again my welds are uglier than my boogers.

Oh, I have a ex-pepsi CO2 bottle, will I have trouble getting the bottle filled?

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
Don't use straight CO2, the 75/25 is much better. you might be able to trade the CO2 Bottle in for credit at the gas supplier.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Don't use straight CO2, the 75/25 is much better. you might be able to trade the CO2 Bottle in for credit at the gas supplier.

yep most welding gas suppliers will just swap bottles for you. That way you don't have to worry about keeping your bottles inspection current.

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
Flux sucks. Use a unamix CO2 and argon. Be sure to get an acount at a welding supply store, it can be a cash acct. I own a metal fab shop and have an acct at the local National welders. I have seen people off the street pay $85 for a spool of wire when I only pay $45.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
I agree with waiting for a 220 unit but that's if you plan on doing frame cage or bumper welding.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Looks like an affordable unit. I too am looking at buying a welder, everyone I talk to says to get a bigger welder, that way your not buying a new one in a couple of years when you outgrow the little one. At that price though I'd still buy it.

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
I have a Hobart, similar 110. Works great for small stuff, but have used a Hobart 220 and sure wish I would have spent another $100 for the 220. Much better welder for just a little more money. I think I spent around $500 for the welder, a spool of solid wire, some spare tips, a little cart to push it around on, and a small bottle for gas ( with regulator). I do have a big old NCG 220 stick welder for the heavy stuff, but you get spoiled with wire.

Mill KNOB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rock Hill, SC
I have the biggest 110 Hobart makes. I love it.. But you will not buy it for no $300.00. What ever you do make sure you get a welder that you can use gas on and not just flux. Flux SUCKS...Good luck...

OP
OP
spreadmonkey

spreadmonkey

Loc.
Austin, Tx
I was afraid of hearing it, but I think all the people who suggested the 220 are probably right. I appreciate it, I'll start keeping my eyes out for a 220 instead.

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
220 is great but don't be scared off of a 110 unit. I have a 110 Miller that I use all the time. I did not have 220 in the garage at my old house so I got the 110. In my new house I have 220 so I now have my eye out for a 220 unit for a good price. I have found that I can do 80-90% of the welding I need to do with my little 110 unit.

OP
OP
spreadmonkey

spreadmonkey

Loc.
Austin, Tx
220 is great but don't be scared off of a 110 unit. I have a 110 Miller that I use all the time. I did not have 220 in the garage at my old house so I got the 110. In my new house I have 220 so I now have my eye out for a 220 unit for a good price. I have found that I can do 80-90% of the welding I need to do with my little 110 unit.

I probably should have started with this but better late than never. If I'm going to buy the welder, I have a list of things that I want to weld...

Re-fab some parts of the cage and add additional support
Frame tie-ins for cage
Exhaust pipes, right now it's a 2-1-1 and I want a 2-1-2 or straight 2
Remove Driver's side seat step, weld in sheet metal
Cooler rack
winch mount on bumper

I would assume that I definitely need a 220 for the frame tie-ins and cage, and as br0nc0xrapt0r mentioned above, along with the winch mount.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I'm eyeing a Miller 211, it's a dual voltage unit setup for both 110 and 230. It will weld up to 5/16"s. It's priced under a grand, and around 1250 with a tank of gas.

I priced out all of the things I need welded and what I would pay a fab shop to do it and I came up really close to the price of a new welder. I also plan to do some small scale production so a good welder makes sense to me.

OP
OP
spreadmonkey

spreadmonkey

Loc.
Austin, Tx
I'm eyeing a Miller 211, it's a dual voltage unit setup for both 110 and 230. It will weld up to 5/16"s. It's priced under a grand, and around 1250 with a tank of gas.

Man that thing is sweet! I would have to seriously adjust my budget but it would definitely pay for itself in the long run. If you don't mind me asking, where did you find the deal for 1250 with tanks?

OP
OP
spreadmonkey

spreadmonkey

Loc.
Austin, Tx
best I can find is 970 with free shipping and no tank but if I can find a tank locally that might be a good deal