• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Beginning of My EB Ownership & Restoration

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
A few spare parts are in the back. A C4 that needs a rebuild. Even have the smog pump and most of the hoses and crap that goes with it. Not sure there is a market for that so it may go in the recycle pile.

Congrats on getting her running, gotta be a great feeling! I think you should hang onto the smog parts and post it up in the classifieds here. Lots of folks out in CA are required to have all the original smog equipment and I’m sure someone out there would be happy to buy it from you.

Yeah, you should go ahead and sell the smog equipment. Given your year, you won't need it to pass smog in CA. However someone else with a '76 or '77 will.

OP
OP
N

NC_Pinz

Thanks for the recommendations. I wade through the hoses, small parts, and pump to see what is there.

Attached is the EB sitting in the garage with the new shoes on.

Attachments

• IMG_2829.jpg
    IMG_2829.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 107

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Congrats to you! Love the look of your Bronco, especially with the new wheels and tires. I think I'd try to polish and save the original paint if there isn't much rust.

OP
OP
N

NC_Pinz

Congrats to you! Love the look of your Bronco, especially with the new wheels and tires. I think I'd try to polish and save the original paint if there isn't much rust.

I'll probably clean it again and hit it with a good wax to see where it's at. Some of the paint has faded down to the primer, and some is starting to see a little surface rust because it is so thin.

Because of the cost of a good paint job and I'd like to do a body off clean up and paint, it may end up being a couple of years before it happens. Given that, I may end up going the wax route to preserve what I have during that time.

I also need to address the flares. Both driver's side were damage by a high speed drunk side swiping it on the interstate in 2004-05. There is still a black swirl mark on the white rocker panel.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
I'll probably clean it again and hit it with a good wax to see where it's at. Some of the paint has faded down to the primer, and some is starting to see a little surface rust because it is so thin.

Because of the cost of a good paint job and I'd like to do a body off clean up and paint, it may end up being a couple of years before it happens. Given that, I may end up going the wax route to preserve what I have during that time.

I also need to address the flares. Both driver's side were damage by a high speed drunk side swiping it on the interstate in 2004-05. There is still a black swirl mark on the white rocker panel.

Bronco Design sells very nice flares, FYI.

A lot of people love the original paint patina. Myself included. Is the swirl mark deep?

OP
OP
N

NC_Pinz

Bronco Design sells very nice flares, FYI.

A lot of people love the original paint patina. Myself included. Is the swirl mark deep?

I haven't tried working on it yet. It is about 1-1/2' long. My guess it is ground in pretty good to the white paint.

At the time, it had 10" wide rims and the paint on them was ground off (front and rear) when the car hit; the rims helped hold the car off the rest of the body. It was a hard enough hit that my step-father had to work to keep control of the Bronco to avoid crashing. The perp ended up going into a slide then flew backwards off the interstate and hit a tree. He estimates the perp was going 90-100 mph when he hit the Bronco. The car had pill bags scattered, an open bottle of whiskey, and a handgun laying about. The perp was not coherent when he was cuffed by the TN highway patrol.

OP
OP
N

NC_Pinz

New battery and a no start condition. I quickly determined there was no fuel on either side of the fuel pump. This weekend I'll work on the fuel line from the tank to see if I can clear it. Worst case I may need to drop the tank to fix the issue.

And of course it is sitting right in the middle of the garage. Looks like I'll go ahead and spring for those dollys to put under the wheels so I can move it over.

OP
OP
N

NC_Pinz

Latest update...

Replaced the master cylinder along with new SS hard lines down to the H block. Easy install and the new hard lines look great.

Dug into the rear brakes. Replaced the rear wheel cylinders and the flex line down to the rear axle. Everything went well, especially considering that I haven't worked on drum brakes in 25+ years. The hardware including shoes were in good condition.

Down the road I'll probably pull the whole axle and refurbish completely. I'm thinking that may happen when I pull the body for paint.

Started on the front, and the hard lines are in worse shape than on the rear axle. Decided to go ahead and order all new SS lines for the front axle from Wild Horses. I was intending on replacing the wheel cylinders and all 3 of the front flex lines.

OP
OP
N

NC_Pinz

Another update...

Picked up the original spare rim and tire. Will use the rim but will get a new tire because I don't think a 42 year old tire is appropriate to ride around on. Also got a vintage 70s Nardi steering wheel. Bought it for $15 off a wrecked Jeep many moons ago and used it for years in my CJ7. Now I just need to adapt it to the EB.

Still wrapping up the front brakes and new SS tubing.

OP
OP
N

NC_Pinz

Long time since an update. I had fuel system issues that seemed like low fuel flow despite a new mechanical pump. I knew I had one piece of old fuel line back at the tank...the thought was maybe it had degraded on the interior restricting flow.

I drained the tank just to replace the line and decided to drop the tank as well. Good thing. The sending unit had rust pitting all over it and the float was corroded and had fallen off. Ordered a new tank from Tom's as well as new fuel line. Going to replace everything from the tank to the carb.

Attachments

• Old Tank.jpg
    Old Tank.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Sending Unit and Float.jpg
    Sending Unit and Float.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
N

NC_Pinz

I thought about it but went with a stock rear tank. Too many expenses right now to justify the larger tank.

I thought it was a good idea when I was lying under the Bronco draining fuel out of the tank thinking this is the lowest fuel level I'll have for a while. The final 1-2 gallons turned murky. I'm going to dig around in the original tank to see how bad the interior surface is before deciding to get rid of the tank or not.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Won't hurt, that's for sure.. Good luck

Long time since an update. I had fuel system issues that seemed like low fuel flow despite a new mechanical pump. I knew I had one piece of old fuel line back at the tank...the thought was maybe it had degraded on the interior restricting flow.

I drained the tank just to replace the line and decided to drop the tank as well. Good thing. The sending unit had rust pitting all over it and the float was corroded and had fallen off. Ordered a new tank from Tom's as well as new fuel line. Going to replace everything from the tank to the carb.