• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bench Bleeding MC

vtboy51

I'm replacing my MC and have watched a few Youtube videos on how to do so. One says to connect hoses to the out ports and dip them into the filled reservoirs while I pump the piston. The other says to just fill the reservoirs and tilt it a bit and pump and then tilt it the opposite way and pump some more to release the air.
Will the tilt method work, since I didn't get any bleed hoses with the MC?

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
I rebuilt my MC and didn't do any sort of bench bleed, no issues. Trying to remember what I did a year ago, but it was probably something like cracking the fittings at the MC and pumping some. But of course my method is not environmentally friendly.

AxlesUp

Loc.
Collierville TN
i plug both ports fill it with fluid and pump a few times with a screw driver.

the idea isn't so much to bleed the master cylinder as it is to gently pump fluid into it so the seals can get lubed up before you hammer on it with a brake pedal.

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used the hoses that came with my WH MC. Worked like a charm. I actually did it on the bench then once installed with the same hose kit. I did it twice because I had to wait on new fittings to arrive and just wanted to be sure.

If you didn't get hoses and want to go that route, you could look at this hose kit from Summit.

gotdads68

Contributor
I've always just clamped the master by a mounting ear in the vise, filled it with fluid then used a phillips screwdriver to push the plunger in, when letting the plunger back out I plug the holes with my fingers to keep it from sucking air back in, then repeat a few times until there is good flow out of the outlet holes. If you don't push in fast/hard fluid won't shoot across your shop and make a big mess.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Look in the box there should be a few plastic plugs or a bleeder kit with hoses. Both work - the hoses I think are easier to work with because the pressure is bled off. The plugs you have to work against the pressure dead heading. Either way you should do it. "Bench bleeding" is a label - I do it on the car so I can use the pedal leverage to do it.