• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ben's 73 Build Thread

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
You're nuts! ;) Both colors look awesome. I could send you a whole bronco to paint in one of those colors so you can see what the whole color looks like :cool:

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

You're nuts! ;) Both colors look awesome. I could send you a whole bronco to paint in one of those colors so you can see what the whole color looks like :cool:

My wife would love that! Sort of a test drive of the color. My wife came up with a new color that I am going to get a sample of tomorrow and shoot another test panel. The more I keep looking at the panels the more I am still in love with the green color. It can be dark but it has so many different variations dependent on sun, shade, where you are standing, etc. that all really look good. I am also going with satin black accents which help lighten it up a bit. We will see how the new test goes .... completely off the reservation from the current hue's we've shot. May be good, may not. As for now I am thinking the green is the front runner.

IMG_7637.jpg IMG_7638.jpg

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
Sorry I didn't make it over today had some family commitments to take care of. I like the green better at this point can't wait to see the new color your wife picked out.

Matt

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

Sorry I didn't make it over today had some family commitments to take care of. I like the green better at this point can't wait to see the new color your wife picked out.

Matt

You need to stop by and see them in person. The pictures don't do the colors justice.

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

Got my wife's color shot on another test panel. It was dark by the time the clear was dry so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get it outside and see how it looks.

IMG_7661.jpg IMG_7662.jpg IMG_7663.jpg IMG_7664.jpg

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I could never capture a picture that showed off this color well...

But if you are looking at green... 2000 Land rover green. It had a little sparkle in it in the right light. My 75 was painted this color by the PO. Lots of compliments on it... Just a thought. ;D

Attachments

• P1130217.jpg
    P1130217.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 339

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
Ben, here's the idea of the day. Project Calico -- every panel painted a different complimentary color. You've already got 3 panels done. You can thank me later :cool:

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

Ben, here's the idea of the day. Project Calico -- every panel painted a different complimentary color. You've already got 3 panels done. You can thank me later :cool:

Project Calico --- now that would be something! ;) I could park it next to the partridge family bus! I am just glad I had enough old sheet metal laying around to do some tests. It is unreal how you envision something in your mind and it looks completely different by the time you get it on the vehicle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

I could never capture a picture that showed off this color well...

But if you are looking at green... 2000 Land rover green. It had a little sparkle in it in the right light. My 75 was painted this color by the PO. Lots of compliments on it... Just a thought. ;D

I totally know what you mean regarding being able to capture that color in a picture. The green I have is very similar, and I think is jaw dropping in person but the pictures never give it a fair representation. The green I am looking to go with is Ford's brand new color, introduced in 2015, called Guard Metallic. As of now I am about 98% sure that it is what we will go with. I was a bit apprehensive in going with a darker color due to the constant maintenance of it. We have a 69 Camaro that is painted black sapphire metallic and it can be chore to keep pristine. But the more I am around the Guard sample I have on the bronco, the more I am in love with it. Decisions, decisions!;)

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

A lot of work happening just not a lot of visual progress. I've fell into the groove of prime - block - prime - block. Good news is that it's coming out straight as an arrow! I've got the fenders, doors and hood done and ready for paint now I am going to put the tub back on the rotisserie and finish it off. Initial goal was to have body and paint by end of November, then it moved to having it done by Christmas, now I've thrown the self inflicted deadlines out the window. It will get done when it's done! Not much to see but here are a few action pics.

IMG_7736.jpg IMG_7750.jpg IMG_7778.jpg IMG_7787.jpg IMG_7788.jpg IMG_7789.jpg IMG_7887.jpg IMG_7888.jpg IMG_7890.jpg

This public service announcement was brought to you in part by "Cold Bud Light"

IMG_7754.jpg

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
Keep at it Ben, looks good, but you need to change that Bud Light to a Coors Light

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
PLEASE KEEP AFTER IT! i need the motivation! ;)

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Lookin good man....

A lot of work happening just not a lot of visual progress. I've fell into the groove of prime - block - prime - block. Good news is that it's coming out straight as an arrow! I've got the fenders, doors and hood done and ready for paint now I am going to put the tub back on the rotisserie and finish it off. Initial goal was to have body and paint by end of November, then it moved to having it done by Christmas, now I've thrown the self inflicted deadlines out the window. It will get done when it's done! Not much to see but here are a few action pics.

View attachment 384084 View attachment 384085 View attachment 384086 View attachment 384087 View attachment 384088 View attachment 384089 View attachment 384090 View attachment 384091 View attachment 384092

This public service announcement was brought to you in part by "Cold Bud Light"

View attachment 384093

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

Thanks guys! It's been a lot of work. Work has been pretty crazy the last few months, coupled with making sure I do not neglect family time, which has made this progression slower than I would have liked. The painting and sanding make such a mess and deal with chemicals so it has not been a task that I have been real comfortable having my helpers (Anthony and Vincent) back in the shop with me. It seems like getting color is a million miles away but each piece that gets finished is getting us one step closer. Like my Dad has always told me, "The easiest way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time!" ;)

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

OCD kicked in and decided to go one more round with the hood so it has been blocked once more, then shot what is hopefully my last round of the primer surfacer so she's cherry.

IMG_7932.jpg

Pulled the tub off of the chassis for the last time and put it back on the rotisserie for final body work and then ...... wait for it ..... PAINT! Chassis is on the side of the shop and the next time it will come back in will be to strip, assemble new suspension, powder coat, assemble and mate to the bronco for the last time.

IMG_7923.jpg IMG_7924.jpg IMG_7927.jpg IMG_7929.jpg IMG_7930.jpg IMG_7931.jpg