• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

"Best" Aftermarket Fuel Injection?

apathy

Loc.
West Linn
My tuner says it's not very efficient to try to modify a Ford Mustang EFI setup to run a big stroker motor, so I'm in the market. It looks like there's a bumper-crop of choices from AFI, Holley, Howell, Edelbrock, FAST, MSD, Professional Products, Accel, etc. Can anybody help me narrow the field?

I searched first, and didn't come up with much. Anybody? ;D

OP
OP
apathy

apathy

Loc.
West Linn
I have a 89-93 Mustang EFI harness, A9L ECU, Mustang upper and lower plenum with sensors. Isn't the A9L EEC-IV?

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
I low of someone on here selling a AFI direct injection for a reasonable price ($1800). Not sure if he still has it but PM me if your interested.

av8rds

MAhole!
Loc.
2300 mi East of Moab
I have an older FAST system. If I were to do it again I would go straight Ford stuff. More support, easier to find people to tune, easier to find parts. There are a million people tuning Ford stuff, find a new guy.

OP
OP
apathy

apathy

Loc.
West Linn
I helped install a Professional Products PowerJection setup on a mildly-built 302 and it ran great right out of the box. When my buddy replaced the 302 with a 417 stroker, we transplanted the PowerJection system, changed a few parameters with his laptop and the beast started right up. Can the A9L run a 200 horse 302 AND a 550 horse 417?
I already know I'm switching motors, so how much has to be upgraded to make the change?

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
I have a 89-93 Mustang EFI harness, A9L ECU, Mustang upper and lower plenum with sensors. Isn't the A9L EEC-IV?

Yes, I think Broncobowsher means stick with the stock parts and tune accordingly for power. You can always add larger injectors and a bigger MAF to up the EEC compatibility with large HP motors. At some point the stock upper and lower intake might be a bottleneck, but if it was good enough for Cobra and Lighting (GT40) power levels, why would it not work with a stroker motor?

How much HP is the stroker motor build forecasting? That will tell you how much fuel delivery is required (injector size and pump volume) and it will tell you how much air intake is necessary (size of MAF tube required).

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
EEC-IV and a different tuner

LOL ... True dat! ^^^^

Yeah , your tuner person is obviously in the dark about the typical Mustang EFI's that a lot of us run here. Lmao ... some more

I just got my 347 back from the builder and will be moving the Exploder/GT40 stuff over to it from the old 302. The lower is getting shipped to TMOSS for port work , it's flow will match the flow of the TF170 heads I'm running. It should be a good match.
There is a tuner about 1.5 hrs from my place that is highly regarded by the Mustang crowd , so I'll baby it over to them for the re-tune.

The 351/5.8 GT40 lower can be a flow monster also , it is not the same animal as its 302 cousin. In stock form , they flow as much as the 302/5.0 GT40 stuff fully ported out. For a street driven 408 , I wouldn't hesitate with a ported lightning manifold and some TF180 heads ... at the track , a bigger set up may be needed.

Last edited:

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
I run FAST XFI (latest kit) on my 427w Dart stroker in my Shelby. I do not have any experience to compare to but this kit is pretty straight forward. A buddy of mine runs the factory setup and the tuning is similar actually. Timing table fuel table etc are the main focus to tune. What I like about the FAST vs the factory Ford is in my Shelby at least I run an accufab throttle body and can run a medium rise intake and the factory oval air cleaner under the stock hood. If clearance is an issue the big intake elbow on the factory stuff can be an issue.
Dennis

OP
OP
apathy

apathy

Loc.
West Linn
I just spoke with the tuner that set-up my friends stroker with the PowerJection. He said they end-up convertiing most of the Mustangs that come into the shop to the MegaSquirt system. He says it's inexpensive, works great, and can handle all sorts of mods. Some assembly required? I need to check out their website.....

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just spoke with the tuner that set-up my friends stroker with the PowerJection. He said they end-up convertiing most of the Mustangs that come into the shop to the MegaSquirt system. He says it's inexpensive, works great, and can handle all sorts of mods. Some assembly required? I need to check out their website.....

You can buy the very powerfull/capable Megasquirt II systems all assembled and with harness etc from DIY EFI. I'm going with them, after using the Holley Commander 950 system for about a decade. No complaints about the Holley Commander but the capability for the price is beat all to heck by the latest generation of MegaSquirt products.

nabes68

Loc.
Yuba city
I would look into using stock ford stuff and use mega squirt ecm it is tunable am running edelbrock proflo one its good I got a great deal but wish I would have went ford setup

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
EEC-IV and a different tuner

Run from your tuner - the A9P setup will support over 1000HP with the factory computer, there is zero reason to go away from the Mustang setup.

If your cam isn't too crazy the factory computer will start and run that motor - you will want to tune it before roaring around on it, but it will run and compensate for the larger cubes.

A mail order tune to your specifications and then an hour on the dyno will get you exactly where you want to be on a 4x4 - you are not chasing thousandths in the quarter mile here, you want driveability and safe A/F ratios...

Thunder26

I love Megasquirt... But for your needs anything other than a tuned eec iv is overkill and wasted money

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Run from your tuner - the A9P setup will support over 1000HP with the factory computer, there is zero reason to go away from the Mustang setup.

If your cam isn't too crazy the factory computer will start and run that motor - you will want to tune it before roaring around on it, but it will run and compensate for the larger cubes.

A mail order tune to your specifications and then an hour on the dyno will get you exactly where you want to be on a 4x4 - you are not chasing thousandths in the quarter mile here, you want driveability and safe A/F ratios...

I can't vouch for the 1K Hp , but it is probably do-able .

All the rest is spot on , I especially like what I highlighted above.

panteramatt

What I dont understand here is after all is said and done, wouldnt he spend just as much in a ford setup as some of the aftermarket ones? AND, it would be way more difficult installing and tuning ford stuff than the aftermarket stuff. Ive read a lot of good stuff on the msd setup.