• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

best all-around carb for EB

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
ive been using a qjet for years built by the late mike at the carb shop in CA. he's no longer with us. RIP.
my qjet now is giving me the fits..i need a carb for the firebronco. it almost burned up again after i bolted in a bad holley.
i need a carb asap. theres an edelbrock down the road from me.. oreilys, not a fan for the edelbrock..but it may need to be my choice for a quick fix. no time to rebuild holley

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I'd drive 300 miles to have my qjet rebuilt before I'd walk across the street for another edelbrock. Surely somebody can recommend another qjet rebuild source.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If your Quadrajet is giving you fits go through it replacing all the gaskets especially the base and spacer/ Adapter gaskets. There are several variants in the gaskets so make sure you get the right ones that actual seal the areas. Minor vacuum leaks reek havoc on Quadrajets and make them run rich not lean like you would expect. It screws up internal fuel metering. Other than replacing the accelerator pump there isn't much to go wrong with them.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
At least consider the Holley Truck Avenger if you insist on going with new. Edelbrocks are hateful off road.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
hey big boy, Long time brother... Hope that wife is treating ya good :D

LouisT

Loc.
Jefferson, Texas
The only bad Holley I've ever run across was the one that uses an aluminum tube to fill the back bowl. These have tiny O rings and if they aren't installed just right the carb will leak. Other than that, Holley is about as good as it gets in my book. And, most of the Ford, Autolite and Motorcraft carbs are pretty much clones of the Holley's. The Holley Spread Bore is a replacement for the Q-Jet and they are way easier to work on and tune. The Q-Jet's main problem for me has always been the accelerator pump. They usually go out before anything else unless there's dirt in it and a Q-Jet hates any little bit of dirt. So, you may just have some dirt in the carb or the accelerator pump needs replacement. Normally, a carburetor doesn't just go bad unless it's a gasket, pump or dirt. I wouldn't call it quits until you checked it over a little better. There should be plenty of YouTube video in opening one up to help you along.

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
carb

We have had nothing but trouble with the truck avengers. We are back to the old style holley carbs, i.e. double pumpers etc.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
My TA has been one of the best 4 brl carbs i've ever owned .
Get your QJet rebuilt if can . They must be a trick to rebuilding them I know a couple of guys who gave up and took em to someone or gave them the motivation to go to fuel injection. I used to know two local shops who would rebuild em - one guy says - no more - so down to one.
Anything will work for you temporarily so i suppose if you could find a carb local and cheap.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No issues with TA's here. But I admit the next induction will be FI carb based system.

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bruce at Carburetors Unlimited in Phoenix is awesome. He will build you a qjet or rebuild yours and test it on his dyno. My new carb, spacer and gaskets with $425 to my door.

He built one for me about 2 years ago and it ran great. I have since gone to Holley Sniper EFI and still working out the bugs.

http://carburetorsunlimited.com/ - Phone (623) 388-0990

Good luck,

SavageBurro

I'm certainly a fan of diagnosing the problem over just throwing parts at something. That said - you might do as suggested above and try installing new base gaskets and checking for other potl vac leaks before dropping coin on a rebuild or new carb. Gaskets are cheap and easy.

I have zero experience with QJ from BC Broncos, but have read where several others on here have been very happy em. There are quite a few old posts on this site that speak to that topic.

I, however, have had qj on a few non-bronco rigs and loved em.. Only time I had an issue was with bad gaskets.

Links to BC Broncos qj carbs below. Definitely not trying to push their stuff - just throwing out another option.

http://store.bcbroncos.com/collecti...cted-things/products/q-jet-stage-1-carburator

http://store.bcbroncos.com/collecti...cted-things/products/q-jet-stage-2-carburator

http://store.bcbroncos.com/collecti...cted-things/products/q-jet-stage-3-carburator

By the way, I tend to run the stock motorcraft 2100 carbs on my bronco. They leave a lot of power on the table but they just seem to chug along no matter what the angle is.

Good luck.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
**** Shameless plug *******

Got a "new" 30 min used Holley TA in the for sale section at a huge discount. I can fedex it to you tomorrow.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273949

Else, I also recommend Carburetors Unlimited in Phoenix.

Bruce at Carburetors Unlimited in Phoenix is awesome. He will build you a qjet or rebuild yours and test it on his dyno. My new carb, spacer and gaskets with $425 to my door.

He built one for me about 2 years ago and it ran great. I have since gone to Holley Sniper EFI and still working out the bugs.

http://carburetorsunlimited.com/ - Phone (623) 388-0990

Good luck,

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
im a fan of qjets because both times ole yellow laid on its side the motor kept running. i had to turn it off because oil pressure was going down.