• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

best all-around carb for EB

nickgp

Bronco Guru
Dennis barker at 970 779 0233 does great rebuilds on q jets. He did my GTOs. He's in Colorado. Google barker gang. His website should come up

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I have heard that really old units can have issues with throttle shaft bushings. They are not typically replaced with a rebuild. It's not easy to do either. When I was a kid we would just grab another core and not even screw around with those bushings. Of course that was the early 80's and you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a Q-Jet carb....They were everywhere...

There is a company that used to reproduce these called Jet.
I believe they started getting into programmers eventually.
They may still be around.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/jet-35002

Yup...Still around...

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I certainly tried them all. Then I got the Autolite 4100 and I am done searching and fiddling with carbs. Works like EFI on the 76. Same goes for the Autolite 2100. I have not fiddled with this carburetor in 6 years. It works.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I think bc is selling the jet performance q-jets. Summit also sells em. You might be able to order direct from jet. They're in Huntington Beach I think. Both my broncos are running em

Bronco Biff

Contributor
Hmmm, Qjets are great with their small primaries giving great low throttle response on a small ford motor that does not require much gas and then it's ability to manage those large secondary's with vacuum for howling upper RPMs. I read the throttle shaft and base plate mentioned here and wanted to add the air horns also would bow and cause issues with air leakage. MR Gasket use to make an air horn gasket to rectify this. If you were already set up for the Qjet with fuel line connections, linkage etc. and were happy with it I would give it a freshen up and drive on. I'm assuming you have a square bore intake to spreadbore adapter plate? Gasket good there , too? I have had great luck with them all, currently running and edelbrock with the stabilized off road needle and seats and jetted down to the low fuel requirements of a 289. They usually work good right out of the box and can be modified cheaply to perform better at angles. Holleys have always seemed to make the most power for WOT (WIDE OPEN THROTTLE!!) I have a dual feed vacuum second 750 on a 460 in one of my pickups and LOVE it! Tuned right, runs right cranks with no issue on 10 Degree days and 102 degree days.....I guess I'm really no help!

Bronco Biff

Contributor
1 add on the edelbrock....if you go that route get the insulated base gasket that helps to keep the fuel from boiling off when you shut down a hot motor making it hard to crank hot.

Cortez

Bronco Guru
About 6 years ago I had mine (Qjet) rebuilt by Chuck Stirling. a recommendation from John Marinan on CLassic Broncos.

PM me if you ant an email contact.

Last edited:

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
I've been running the Holley 4160 on my 302 for over a year (11,000 miles) and truck really runs nice.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...se1-_-holley&gclid=CID_2ZeE79ECFcMp0wodjmkO_A

Story about my carb and Holley customer service. I bought the carb years back when I began my build in late 2006, at the time thinking I was doing mostly a mechanical restoration. Then found rust, complete restoration, time goes by. So, seven, eight years later I installed the carb onto my 302. Go to start and fuel is weeping out of the front bowl. Ends up the bowl is cracked. I was like how the heck did I do that. It was sitting in the box. I contacted Holley about a bowl and the crack. They email back asking for carb numbers. Give them the numbers. Then they email back that my carb was in a run that had bad castings. Send them the carb and they'll send me a brand new one. Anyway, about a week or so later a brand new, polished aluminum (mine was not polished) arrives. Also, it has the adjustable floats which my original did not. Holley has fantastic customer support. That kind of treatment makes me a customer for life.

OPCJeff

Loc.
Orange, CA
When it comes to any street car I always run Holley. That said I've had standard holley, then truck avenger and then q-jet. After that I went to aftermarket efi, then factory style efi. All said and done if I did it again I would go with the q-jet. The bowl design is superior for offroad use however the accel pump reservoir is in the front of the fuel bowl. When going up steep hills two things happen. First the fuel runs out of the secondary tubes and riches the engine. This is not great but in high altitude it really made the bronco run bad(this same problem occurs with holleys but worse). The second issue is on a steep incline the fuel pulls away from the accel pump reservoir causing it to stop working essentially. This happened to me in Los Coyotes on "El Hill" and i almost went over backwards when the bronco died.(very steep hill)

All this to say that all the q-jet needs is to be turned around. You can lower the fuel bowl level a bit to help on the down hills so it doesnt flow out of the secondary tubes. Also on downhill you dont need the accel pump so that problem goes away too. Then when youre going up hill all the fuel pushes towards the accel pump so you never have the problem.

Finally the last thing I would do to make it work like an efi in altitude is figure out a way to run a altitude switch that opens a jet to a vacuum line above a certain altitude. If the vacuum line comes from the plenum and not a single runner it will lean the motor out evenly counteracting the rich condition that happens in carbs from going to high.

Qjets are better for MPG and all the effects I've talked about are worse in a holley. The truck avenger is better but it never worked as well as the qjet on hills even though it was designed to specifically for that

Just my experience hope it helps

edmedlin

Loc.
Republic Missouri
Quick Fuel makes great carbs. I use this one on my dynoed at 382hp 302. They have carbs for about any application and are becoming very popular in the performance and restoration community. This one is a 680cfm.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 22

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I run a jet performance q-jet mounted backwards on phred. It has been flawless everywhere ive driven it. Up hill down hill etc. the only issue I've had is fuel boiling. The crappy fuel I'm forced to run because I live in the big city boils easily because of the a high ethanol content. I've added a phenolic spacer and that should solve the problem. The boiling issue only occurs when the air temp is over 95 which was a lot last year here in Atlanta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bronc937

I've got that summit carb in a 600 cfm electric choke on a roller 351w with edelbrock performer intake. Right out of the box it works awesome. Even with a timing light and vacuum gauge it needed no adjustment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orangebronco68

Loc.
Mesa, AZ
Holleys are the only way to go. That being said..I have been building Holleys for over 40 years with off road drivability the main concern. The ideal carb starts with an 1850. Then I install off road needle and seats, whistles, jet extensions,spring loaded floats, cross over vent tubes, and a few special tricks I've learned over the years. These solve the bad fuel mileage of the Truck Avengers. I have probably over 50 of these on Broncos all over the United States and Mexico. These end up being half the price of truck Avengers. I also build Double Pumpers with these mods.