• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best available oil pan?

agduckhunter

Bought a "cheapie" chrome pan from summit and not happy with it....just feels thin and cheap. Would like something a little prettier than plain blue or black. Motor is a rear sump 302. Previous pan was double sump. I do NOT want to pull motor or anything else to replace it. Go!!!

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The OE 289-302 pan is the best. If you want bling, you're not interested in what's best. You can paint an OE pan any color you want or gold plate it.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Chrome oil pans are a bad idea anyway, they keep heat in like a thermos bottle.
The're really intended for all show - no go cars.

Hard to beat an OEM Ford Bronco oil pan.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Hamburger oil pans are really nice.

But just crack open a Summit, Jegs, or Speedway catalog and you will find a plethora...

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Define "best". Best at what? Best oil control? Best looking? Best fitting? Best at going faster due to a lighter wallet? Best for anodizing neon purple? Best at tying your shoes?

Toddpole

Contributor
Powder coat your stock pan any color you like. It's tougher than paint and won't chip as easily.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Pans are designed for the chassis. All the after market pans listed above are made for Fox chassis Mustangs. The closest design to the OE EB pan is the Explorer pan. But the EB pan is more compatible with the EB chassis. Who crawls under a truck to see a chrome plated oil pan?

OP
OP
agduckhunter

agduckhunter

Buncha smart arses in here.

best
best/
adjective
adjective: best

1. of the most excellent, effective, or desirable type or quality.

I'm not going to sacrifice quality for appearance. Thanks to the fellas who gave actual answers. My local dealer has this Ford performance pan in stock. I'll be swinging by there today.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
That one looks very good. I bought a Milodon and love it. Looks good, fit good, holds an extra quart. Some people on this site are really against bling. They are against bling as bad as I harp on things being mostly stock (except for oil pans of course...and suspension....and exhaust....and intake....hmmm...OK, body stock).

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
IF a Fox body oil pan will fit and work (I think that I've read there are issues with that), then one of the aftermarket oil pans with a heavy emphasis on road racing type oil control would fit my own definition of "best".

707Bronk

I just got a Ford dual sump from WH. Gonna install it this weekend. It is stock replacement, good quality, and relatively cheap. I really liked the Milodon pans and almost bought it but cheaped out. The extra capacity, baffles and rear sump wedge clearance of the Milodons are nice features.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I have a canton 7 quart racing oil pan, nice pan, if you want more oil volume.

Attachments

• getimage_gif.jpg
    getimage_gif.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
agduckhunter

agduckhunter

Thanks for the input. Picked it up and installed it today. Looks great, feels solid as a rock and doesn't leak a drop.

SgzJdit.jpg

Did a little engine dress up while I was at it. Had plain chrome valve covers before...gonna get rid of the t-posts, though...

AwrICwh.jpg

Next up, aluminium radiator and fan shroud....hopefully get around to installing it this weekend.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Good to see you resisted the temptation to go with bling, choosing quality instead. Oddly those who advocate for racing pans because of the added oil capacity ignore the fact that the OE Bronco pan is 6 qt. while the Mustang duel sump pan is 5 qt. I like the single well placed drain plug on the OE pan too. Condition is the big factor with 40 yr old OE pans.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Good to see you resisted the temptation to go with bling, choosing quality instead. Oddly those who advocate for racing pans because of the added oil capacity ignore the fact that the OE Bronco pan is 6 qt. while the Mustang duel sump pan is 5 qt. I like the single well placed drain plug on the OE pan too. Condition is the big factor with 40 yr old OE pans.
The OE bronco pan is 6 qts with a filter change, so pan holds 5 qts. My canton racing pan is 7 qts with a filter change, so pan holds 6 qts , and its made for the early bronco, with a front drain plug, and rear drain plug.;D

Attachments

• IMG_2451.jpg
    IMG_2451.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 75
  • engine assabley 2 001.jpg
    engine assabley 2 001.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 75

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Canton pans are NOT made for Broncos. They are Fox body Mustang pans with a deep sump welded on, for $400. My POINT is, that the same people who were concerned about the capacity of the racing pans vs. the stock early Bronco pan, have no problem with the capacity of the Mustang replacement pans that all the EB venders sell, and holds a quart less than the OE Bronco pan. I don't think there's a problem with the capacity of any pan that fits. To bring up the fact that the filter as always holds a qt is pathetic. Higher capacity just gives those with $400 burning a hole in their pocket an excuse to give their wife. I'm stuck with a Panther and Fox body 351 pan, because there never was an early Bronco chassis 351 pan. If there was, I would have one. Duffy made some in the early days but the Panther 351 pan is a lot cheaper. Duffy welded the rear end of a 351 pan onto an OE Bronco 302 pan. I'd love to find one of those. There are sadly many, with no historical frame of reference, who don't know any of this, and believe the hype.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
The pan I have is made for a 66 to 77 ford bronco with a 302, and it from canton racing.https://www.cantonracingproducts.co...20---302-FORD-67-77-BRONCO-REAR-SUMP-OIL-PAN/.I have no clearance problem with the pan and it fits fine. I wanted more capacity, so I don't know why your getting all down on the racing pans. Yes they are a lot more, but if that's what someone want's, then that's their choice. The thread ask Best available oil pan, some might think OEM pan, some might think RACING PANS.