• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

best, cheapest, easiest, ignition up grade???,

broncosport

Loc.
Knob Noster MO
What is the best ignition upgrade money not an issue??

What is the cheapest ignition upgrade worth doing??

What is the easiest ignition upgrade??

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Duraspark for cheap and easy. It's way better than points.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Best is Duraspark because it is simple, effective, and parts availability.
Cheapest is Duraspark if you go the rebuilt or picked part route.
Easiest is Duraspark if you go to http://reincarnation-automotive.com/services
Actually, no system, no matter the cost, will perform properly unless the curve is set up for the carb and cam. Reincarnation will set you up with a properly curved duraspark distributor for $150. Spend the $150 and you won't have to mess with it at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

fetorino

Loc.
Orange, CA
Strange

tried it a few years ago and couldnt get it to work, so I went to ignitor 2, but it just burnt out and now I'm back to points for the time being?? Now you know why I'm asking??

Why couldn't you get the Duraspark to work? I run a duraspark with an MSD 6al box. With the MSD Duraspark plug it takes about an hour to wire the whole thing.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X3 on the duraspark. While not as easy as the one wire setups its not that hard to wire up. its almost all plug in. I personally wouldnt touch any of the HEI setups. Most are just cobbled together and have issues fitting under the hood and with certain aircleaners.

OP
OP
broncosport

broncosport

Loc.
Knob Noster MO
Why couldn't you get the Duraspark to work? I run a duraspark with an MSD 6al box. With the MSD Duraspark plug it takes about an hour to wire the whole thing.
Because I'm dumb!!! It might not have worked when I got it??? Just wouldnt fire when I got it all hooked up!

Ranchtruck

Duraspark is cheap and easy, works well, and you can find all the parts in stock at any auto parts store.

It's self contained, so you only need to add one wire to key on power. I tapped the brake warning light in the dash for key on power for the module and it's worked great. I put the module on the inner fender down in the hole between it and the firewall on the drivers side. Stays cool and protected there.

OP
OP
broncosport

broncosport

Loc.
Knob Noster MO
I have all the stuff just cant make it work??? Im about to buy another igniter and be done with it!!! The last one cost $75 and lasted 6 years, untill a bad battery somehow smoked it?

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Im not against duraspark, and mine worked fine. my distributor internals took a crap and I figured it was a good time to try HEI. I ordered the summit brand HEI and it works great!

ive been running it on my stock 302 for about a year now and I've never messed with it. Im sure curving it to your motor is a smart move but it seems to run fine so i havent bothered.

HEI is definitely an ignition system for dummys ;)

OP
OP
broncosport

broncosport

Loc.
Knob Noster MO
Im not against duraspark, and mine worked fine. my distributor internals took a crap and I figured it was a good time to try HEI. I ordered the summit brand HEI and it works great!

ive been running it on my stock 302 for about a year now and I've never messed with it. Im sure curving it to your motor is a smart move but it seems to run fine so i havent bothered.

HEI is definitely an ignition system for dummys ;)

sounds like the one for me!! ILL CHECK IT OUT! $139 not bad!!
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-850021/

AZ69EB

Another cheap and easier mod is using the ford standard electronic ignition distributor and a HEI module instead of the duraspark module.

It works great and easy to wire up, as it is only 4 wires to change.

The HEI module is easy to find and cheap, about 20 bucks. This gives you the small, easy to fit ford distributor, and the cheap HEI module that last.

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/ignition-articles/492810-tricky-trick-hei-module-inside-duraspark-case.html

FYI – I seen two of the cheap Chinese HEI knock offs have shaft failures. Not fun to fish parts out of the block.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Cant speak for the summit branded ones but I would find out where they are made. quite a few people have had these "cheap" HEI units fail one I can recall so badly it wiped out the engine another just kinda fell apart. Pretty much all the HEI units out there are half assed cobbled together basically they take a ch#vy dizzy and graft on a cam gear that fits the fords.
Of course on the other hand you have people that havent had any issues with them but still I'd rather go with something thats tried and true then something cobbled together.

AZ69EB

If you decide to go the after market route, check the customer feedback on other forums.

Especially, MSD. Not saying anything negative about them, but check their customer support regarding their offroad MSD box.

FYI - It's potted, so they can not repair it if it fails and don't help with a replacement. ;)

gumbydood

I bought a crane unit from Summit. $90 to my door, replaces the points, 2 wires to hook up, a built in "rev limiter", took about 40 minutes to install, and made a noticeable difference in performance: starts easier, idles better, and revs quicker.
I didn't even bother taking the distributor out, just removed the points plates and wires, and replaced with the crane pickup plates and unit. 1 wire to each side of the coil and presto! all done

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
im curious myself who summit has making their HEI dizzys. I always hoped it was one of the nicer ones rebadged. I meant to do some digging, and probably would have if the hei I bought was a piece of crap. I dont know if it was my mind playing tricks on me but this unit seems to make the motor run really well.

OP
OP
broncosport

broncosport

Loc.
Knob Noster MO
I bought a crane unit from Summit. $90 to my door, replaces the points, 2 wires to hook up, a built in "rev limiter", took about 40 minutes to install, and made a noticeable difference in performance: starts easier, idles better, and revs quicker.
I didn't even bother taking the distributor out, just removed the points plates and wires, and replaced with the crane pickup plates and unit. 1 wire to each side of the coil and presto! all done

sounds like the Pertronix igniter! worked great. 1 more good option.