• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Column Choice???

Faster Eddie

Loc.
Seattle
Need input on TBP rebuilt Auto 77 column vs TBP aftermarket polished steel auto column for my resto mod.

Or should I look at JBG's offering?

Should I also replace the lower shaft, rag joint, basically everything down to the stock box?

The tilt feature isn't needed for me and if it's going to be a weak link in the future, I'm fine with stock, but do they do a nice job on them??

BTW 3.5" suspension lift, 35" tires.

Any help is appreciated!

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
Bought many things from Toms and theyre great ,but I bought a ididit from JBG w/tilt and floor shift,and it's great,has GM wiring,solid mounting under the dash,and I did replace everything down to the box,not too difficult and reasonable in price.I'm still in the middle of my build so have'nt used any of it yet,but if it works half as good as it fits then I'm good,good luck:cool:

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I bought the Ididit direct replacement black column from WH. It has Ford Based wiring and turn signal switch. It was a direct fit. It came with a GM plug that went with my Centech wiring harness.

I had some issue with the grant steering wheel I bought, but was able to work through it with Grant and Ididit helping out.

I had a 3-spd and went to an Automatic shift on the column.

It was just as good as the GM based Ididit column (from BCB) that I had in my 77 a few years ago.

My steering shafts were toast, so I upgraded to new.

kjmssd

Loc.
Salt Lake City
I too am wondering. I need an auto column with tilt. I am wondering whether to go Ididit or JBG. I have heard that chrome columns cause glare and reflect in the windshield badly. This is only a rumor that I have heard. It looks like the JBG column is cheaper from JBG right now. So will I have any trouble if I don't use an Ididit column?

nickgp

Bronco Guru
I used a stock column. Replaced the stock shifter collar with a smooth one. Pulled it all apart and replaced the bearings. Had the column powder coated. Used a flaming river shaft. It's clean tight and functional.

Loc.
The Bluegrass State
I installed a Summit Racing tilt column in my rig. It has GM wiring and worked great with my American Autowire Harness. Price was reasonable, with the money I saved I replaced everything from the column to steering box. Total cost from steering wheel to steering box was roughly the price of an Ididit Column.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I installed an Ididit last year, one thing it had that was nice was the built in neutral safety switch & backup light switch, it also had the GM connector which I normally do not like, but I was also installing a Centech harness and it was plug & play.

pipermike

I too am wondering. I need an auto column with tilt. I am wondering whether to go Ididit or JBG. I have heard that chrome columns cause glare and reflect in the windshield badly. This is only a rumor that I have heard. It looks like the JBG column is cheaper from JBG right now. So will I have any trouble if I don't use an Ididit column?

I have the polished stainless one from wild horses, Flaming River brand, yes it's true you will get a reflection in your windshield.