• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What's the best tilt column

ricky

Loc.
beaumon,texas 77706
those ididit columns sure look nice,i looked around,but it appears they do not make one for a '68? wonder what the big difference is?

SeanT4x4

I've been running it a year, the rod for the ignition switch is too long, no more adjustment, key is difficult to remove, the steering wheel wobbles terrible, the tilt moves up and down too easy without pulling the lever and the self canceling turn signals maybe will and maybe won't...... basically over all quality is poor. I have a friend that has the same column less the ignition and he is having the exact same issues. I have a custom Flaming River in my wish list with Duff's.

Yeller, you should post your issues on the item on the summit site. There was only one user review when I bought mine so it was a shot in the dark. My ignition is still on the dash so I dont have any of the key problems. There is a slight wobble on the wheel on mine. Never had a blinker not cancel though. It isn't perfect for sure, but for the price im happy with it.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I have the Ididit column for a manual trans and I painted mine body color,easy install and looks great with my Toms leather wheel.:cool:

Attachments

• dash & interior.jpg
    dash & interior.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 181

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
Not to get off subject here but....how do like the quality of the TBP seats? Would you buy them again?
I would buy them again.
But I would have like to seen a quick release to recline the passenger seat back forward for access to the back of the Bronco.

Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
I have a Flaming River tilt column, the pointers on the auto don't quite line up because it is a GM based column. That being said, it works and looks great.

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I also went with an Ididt tilt column and couldn't be happier. I got the Feroce 15" wood wheel as well from JBG. Mated perfectly to my custom steering shaft from WH.

The tilt column makes is to much easier for me to get into and out of the truck. The old (stock) column and wheel was a PIA to enter/exit.

And I LOVE the wood wheel. :cool:
I apologize in advance for the long post but I want to be detailed.

I posted the above quote and stand by it.

However...My right hand turn signal never canceled since day one. This always bothered me so I pulled the wheel (after making a puller--got to use my new to me 1950 drill press :cool:) and looked at the horn cam which is supposed to be clocked at 10:30 and it was. At this point, I called JBG (where I got the column from) and was informed that they do not troubleshoot at JBG and gave me ididit's number. I called ididit and talked to the tech guy who told me to pull the c-clip and horn cam and bend the right hand self-canceling spring slightly towards the center or shaft. So I hung up and pulled the c-clip and the horn cam. Quite honestly, I was a bit frustrated at this point that I had to pull apart a brand new column and bend a spring to make it work. Seemed a bit hokey to me.

I tried to bend the spring with needle nose pliers as directed by the tech guy but it is held in-place with plastic ears and I was concerned that I would break these ears. This concern turned to frustration due to the fact that it sounded so easy to fix coming from the tech guy. I eventually put the spring in a vise and bent it just enough that I couldn't even get it to sit correctly back in the column where it's supposed to sit. I called ididit back and the tech guy had left--I was transferred to the sales manager. He said this is an easy fix but it was turning out to be anything but. He realized my frustration and told me they had some right hand self-canceling springs that were determined to be out of spec so he would send me a couple and an installation kit at no charge. At this point I'm feeling good even though I can't drive my EB.

So today I got the parts and got right to it. Put a new self canceling spring in and then the horn cam with the spring. I realized from their instructions that my shaft had slipped down into the column a little bit inside the column and that was the main part of my difficulty in getting the c-clip set on the shaft on top of the horn cam. To fix this I put vise grips on the beautiful WH custom steering shaft against the corresponding shaft end. The installation kit came with a new spring to replace the c-clip as well as a small piece of pipe used to seat the new style spring. This worked but seemed like a lot more than 65 pounds of pressure required to seat the spring--maybe I'm getting weaker with age. I put the adapter back on and then the wheel and fired her up to check and guess what the right hand signal still does not cancel. :mad: It was 7:00 PM and they were not working at ididit.

I am frustrated to say the least. ididit eventually admitted there was a problem and after the second call sent me the spring and installation kit I needed to get the thing back together. However, I am now back at the beginning with a signal that doesn't cancel and I've worked on this thing a lot (starting to hate columns--all of them starting with the stocker I rebuilt and couldn't get it right). I want to put the EB on a trailer and take it to ididit in Tecumseh, MI. I know this is a Bronco but really???