• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Tilt Column???

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
Glass Pony, was it really necessary to post that picture? Beautiful interior, not a spec of dirt that I can see, while mine is mainly off-road use, yours is beautiful.
It does see sand/beach duty and runs for ice cream. The sand is easy to clean but a day with an on-shore wind the salt air can be a pain.

OP
OP
pharmin06

pharmin06

The 78-79 Ford truck tilt column has the lane-change function on it as does the Flaming River column.

I'm on my second Flaming River column - the first one got some squeaky bearings in it after about 10 years and when I sent it in to get it rebuilt, they said it was outdated and sent me a new one for the price of the rebuild of the original one. Excellent customer service.

Todd Z.

Does this column go in as a direct replacement? If not is the install relatively simple?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Does this column go in as a direct replacement? If not is the install relatively simple?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the WH direct fit columns probably are the easiest/closest to stock in terms of installation. The 78-79 truck columns require work/wiring mods to install. So do the Ididit/Flaming River columns with GM-based wiring.

How much is required is often dependent on your current configuration.

Todd Z.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have the WH's Ididit direct replacement column in my 68. It is column shift for my 4R70W...

For the rest viewing this, in his '68 it would have been a little more work to wire it up, but since he had an aftermarket harness anyway, the point was moot.
But the wiring is really the only reason we don't list them for 73 and earlier models anyway. If you notice that we only start at '74, that's because of the later turn signal switch and connector.

The gear shift indicator, which you have to install (by drilling two small holes), is not lighted.

Yeah, lighted like stock would be cool. Probably a way to do it, but I've never looked into it.
I'm assuming you do have the OD model indicator Doug? (Yeah, I should know since I sold it to you, but I forget...%)) Did you try the stick-on type?
Or was it a stick on and you still had to drill for some reason?

The rotation from Park to 1st gear is not true. By that I mean when you install the GM based indicator, you set it up so neutral is in the center. Travel of the pointer, which is glued down to the moving portion of the column, can be a little more/a little less in each direction.

I thought that's what we used too? http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/IDIDIT_Tilt_Column_Indicator_Acrylic_AOD
Or is the range for an AOD not the same as the 4R70? Thought they were based of the same trans family, but maybe not.

Being 6' 4", when I drop the gear selector down into 1st gear, there is not a lot of room for my right leg, with the T-shifter and Tuffy center console.

I wonder if there is a way to shorten the throw with geometry? Modifying the location, angle and length of the rod and lever maybe?
Anyone ever messed with that kind of thing? I hate long travel column shifters myself, for the same reasons you're stating.
And either I've shrunk (very possible) or you're taller than 6' 4"!:eek:
I think Roger Miller had a song about your brother...

Paul

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Shortening the lever on the trans would shorten the lever travel on the column, BUT then you're at risk of not aligning properly with the steps or detents in the column (if those exist).
Alternately, just shortening the column's lever and moving the handle in might be enough to keep it out of your leg.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I have the IDIDIT column and love it,I painted it body color and looks sweet.:cool:

Attachments

• dash & interior.jpg
    dash & interior.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 73