• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Column to Floor Conversion Kit?

ICRaider10

Loc.
Christiansburg, Va
What is the best column to floor conversion kit out there? I have a 74 3 speed on the column right now and want to move it to the floor. So far, I've seen the bronco graveyard kit and the James Duff kit. Is the conversion even worth it?

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
What is the best column to floor conversion kit out there? I have a 74 3 speed on the column right now and want to move it to the floor. So far, I've seen the bronco graveyard kit and the James Duff kit. Is the conversion even worth it?

I recommend the Np435. Duffs is pretty good though.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Better to spend the $400 more and go to a 4 speed?

Depends on what you do. I love the super low 1st gear and it shifts better than a 3spd but it still shifts like a dump truck. If you can shop around you can get one pretty damn cheap and did I mention they are bomb proof.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Or you could buy all new parts and freshen up your 3 on the tree... it's like an anti theft device these days.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
I believe they are all made by Hurst. The only diff I've found is the Duff's shifter has a 1" offset shift handle giving you a bit more leg room.

7elk

Loc.
Albuquerque
I 2nd what Broncoxraptor said about the shift on the column, most young people today don't have a qlue how to use a column shift, great anti-thief.

IFLYHOOKS

Loc.
Clarksville
How is your Bronco used? Daily driver, light trail or rock crawler? I started down your path and put the shifter on the floor, but ended up with an NV3550, which gives you a lower 1st than your 3-speed, plus a 22% overdrive in 5th. I have 33's with a 4.11 rear and run 2400 RPM @ 70 mph on the interstate. More money, but well worth it!

OP
OP
I

ICRaider10

Loc.
Christiansburg, Va
I'll probably be using it for a little bit of everything. Ideally, I'd like to put an NV4500 in it, but I don't feel like selling a kidney just yet. The tree shifter actually works really well, I just prefer the floor. A 4 or 5 speed conversion would be way better than just moving it off the column IMO. Any advice on how to do that relatively cheap?

IFLYHOOKS

Loc.
Clarksville
I'll probably be using it for a little bit of everything. Ideally, I'd like to put an NV4500 in it, but I don't feel like selling a kidney just yet. The tree shifter actually works really well, I just prefer the floor. A 4 or 5 speed conversion would be way better than just moving it off the column IMO. Any advice on how to do that relatively cheap?

Cheap is all relative. Advance adapters is going to get there money, but you can usually find a good transmission in a junk yard for half or less than they sell the new ones for at the Bronco Houses. I did my NV3550 for about $1500.

IFLYHOOKS

Loc.
Clarksville
How does the 3550 do off road? I have heard that they're not as stout as the other 5 speed options.

You shouldn't have any problems unless you are running over 7200lbs and applying more than 300ft/lbs of torque. It definitely is not an NV4500 or a ZF, but you do not have to make any drive line changes, it should cost you less and it shifts like a dream. I also went cheap when I rebuilt my xfer case and put in Terra-low 3.15 gears.

IFLYHOOKS

Loc.
Clarksville
HOOKS, where did you your swap kit? What all was actually needed for the swap?

I ordered http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/NV_3550_Kit_Deluxe/NV3550_5-Speed_transmission from Wild Horses, but pretty much all the houses sell the adapter kits. If you have a good clutch you can just order the advance adapter kit for about $850. I found the transmission from a Jeep Wrangler at a local junk yard for $700, the jeep only had 25K on it when it was wrecked. Here is an excellent link for the install: http://classicbroncos.com/tech/nv-3550-install. Here is a thread with donor vehicles and the years to look for: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162877&highlight=3550 The tech article is very well done. I am mechanically inclined, but I had never tried a transmission swap before. It was actually very easy, and I did it by myself, though it would be handy to have someone help when it comes time to install the transmission.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
If you stick with the stock 3-spd, the Duff's is definitely the better kit even though it's made by Hurst. In addition to the offset mentioned by Explorer the geometry is better and gives you shorter shift throws. Lot's of guys with the Hurst complain about whacking their knuckles on the dash shifting into second. With my Duff's it never comes close to the dash.

OP
OP
I

ICRaider10

Loc.
Christiansburg, Va
I found a NP435 on craigslist for $100/obo. Is this a decent price and how much (realistically) can I expect to spend on the full conversion? If it's in the range of moving the shifter, I may just go ahead and go to the 4 speed.