• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

best horn donor vehicle?

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
My horn has stopped working and short of waiting for one on Ebay can someone help me with a good donor vehicle for one that will use the same wire plug-in? No early broncos in the bone yards around here left

70TEXEB

Loc.
Abilene, TX
Heck, I got one from NAPA, almost direct replacement for $9.99. It is plastic though, but my original was rusted out. Don't know if this helps or not. :)

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
A lot of newer cars and trucks use two horns (high and low). I know a 87 dodge ram pickup for one will have two horns like what I used. I bought two horns a high and a low tone. Together they sound powerful. Each one by themselves sounded weak. I wanted to be able to be heard. I used a simple relay to hook them up. I picked the horns and relay up at Advance Auto Parts. I can shoot a pick of the relay if you want. I know this doesn't answer your questions exactly, but it does give you an option for a good nice sounding horn.

70bronco

Loc.
Kingsburg, CA
Almost any horn will do the job. I picked one up at the junkyard just look for one with a single spade connection. The best part was when I asked "how much?" they said just take it.

hucktruck

Loc.
Missouri
When mine went out last year and I need one quick to pass MO safety inspection I bought one for $10 from Autozone (not made of plastic though). It is too high pitched for my taste but it did the trick. Kinda sounds like it belongs on a Yugo or something. I'd personally like to find something else with more balls to it.

cbfomoco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WV
this will sound crazy too but if you find a car or tuck that is 6volt (pre 56 in ford) it will sound really really lound. On my 54 we converted to 12v from 6. and did not swap the horn. Granted i do not use it much but it has a good impact. But most fords i belive would work. at least 60- 70- and 80. i would hope any way.

Big Nuf

Loc.
Tulsa, OK
I had a set of the 6 volt horns. They came off of a 40's truck, about 18" long. They sounded like air horns, before they couldn't take 12 volts anymore.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey mtkawboy, I would also add the relay like broncoman said. I don't think your '69 had one from the factory, so all the juice goes through the horn button and causes a buildup of, I guess oxidation would be the best term, on the contacts. Even good horns won't sound too good when this happens because it reduces the available power to the horn. My '71 lasted for about ten years the first time, but after that I had to clean the contacts about once every 6 months to keep the horn working properly.
Until I added a relay that is. Now I never have to mess with it. Horns take a surprising amount of current to work well, so give them a fighting chance. Not saying you don't still need a new horn, but the button sure takes a beating.
Good luck, and like the rest were saying, just about any O.E. horn uses that same blade connector so you should not have too much trouble finding one. Some decently loud ones I've heard are post '88 Chevy trucks, and just about any Cadillac. But the Caddy's are pretty unique so your Bronco would sound just like a Cadillac if you used them. That would raise some eyebrows on the trail. Hah! As for Fords, I would think the Lincolns and Crown Vics would work. The newer trucks might be decent too, but don't go for older ones. My '79 had horns that were wimpier even than the Bronco's!

Paul

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
How about JC Whitney for a "wolf whistle" one or a Dukes of Hazzard model. ;D

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D I like the older truck ones there 6V but last a long time if you dont live on them. Right now I have a auggggggga typ horn model A typ. :p :p :p Bill %) ;D :D

OP
OP
M

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Its a 68 with no horn relay. It has an aftermarket steering wheel that was on it when I got it. I tried hooking the hron direct to the battery and got nothing, tried adjusting the screw and still nothing. The horn is all riveted together so ill try a NAPA one.

OP
OP
M

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
I find a bronco in the junk yard today. I bought a factory jack & handle, 2 window cranks, a working horn and a working complete windshield washer assy for $10. The to top it off I left my wallet at home. The guy tells me to take the stuff & drop the money off later. I told him I could write him a check but I obviously have no ID. He says no problem. Does this just happen in Montana or did I just imagine all this? Dietz Auto Wrecking in Billings Mt. They made a steady customer out of me.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
When mine wasn't working I took it off and tried it connected directly to the battery and got nothing. Then I sprayed a little WD into it and rapped on it twice with a wrench and it has worked fine every since. Been about five years now.

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Now that's a good fix. Cheap too! Good 'ol WD and a hammer. Only thing missing was the duct-tape.

Not sure if it's down to just Montana nowadays, but it certainly is getting less and less common. That's for sure, that's for dang sure.
Nice guy. Bet you go back there when you need something for a vehicle, eh?
And to have an Early Bronco to boot. Now that's a junkyard!

Paul

msweb

Bronco Guru
I haven't had a working horn on mine in two years. Either throw it into neutral and tach it up to 5k with glasspacks or get a bumper sticker that says "Horn broke, watch for finger". %)

OP
OP
M

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
In some instances it will leave you with a broken finger too or a large caliber firearm pointed at you in Montana. Besides Ive had them back blindly out of a parking space and hit me when I was blocked in. If they dont see the vehicle the finger wont work either. I was standing on the horn and it didnt work. Senile citizens are not too on top of their surroundings said the 60.5 year old senior citizen, me!