• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Kill Switch/Theft Deterrent

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
My "Duke" is a tennis-ball-chasing-happy-go-lucky-pet-me-please german shepard living on reputation and not his actions. More people are affraid of his looks znd ignore the fact he runs around all day with a stinky tennis ball in his mouth. Yhis dof is not a good theft deterre

Blueoval4me

Loc.
Fullerton, CA
Depending on where I am and how longs its going to be parked, I always put on the club (get the "ultra club" it only requires the key to take off, has a rachet lock on) and flip the fuel selector to "up". Sometimes I even flip the selector as I am coming on my block so I run some of the gas out and give even less running time. One of my favorites, albeit a pain, is to switch the coil wire on the dist with a wire from one of the other cylinders. It fools the eyes, its not obvious like the coil wire missing, and its hard to see them switched when you know what to look for. The reason I like this is my theory, if i was going to steal a bronco I would definately bring a coil wire. Plus when the lowlife is cranking it it sounds like it wants to start (one cylinder firing). Lastly if I am going away for a while I pull the battery, run the carb dry, take out the rotor, and sometimes leave the back axle on jack stands and lock the wheels in the shed.<br><br>Hopefully i will never need to use my 2nd admendment rights, but i do believe in them!<br><br>Eric

eBronc

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Lots of ideas--a "kill" switch on the power side of the coil isin't a bad idea..it'll prevent the "joyrides" that most kids and amatuer thieves would otherwise try. A pro, however, will work right around it by simply using a jumper wire from the battery or hot side of the starter solenoid to the + terminal of the coil, bypassing the igntion switch and any "kill" switched wired in that circuit. <br><br>A different twist on that is to wire the "kill" switch to short the + terminal to ground, or to wire the "kill" switch into the - side of the coil, either leaving it open all the time, or shorting to ground all the time-either way, the plugs won't fire because the points won't making and breaking the ground circuit to get the coil going. A thieves' jumper wire won't do any good in that case-but they know the usual places to look for any "kill" switch, so it still might not prevent your Bronco from being "borrowed".<br><br>A fuel line lock is a good idea-without fuel, no amount of rewiring is going to get the Bronco going-and it's hard to rig up an alternate fuel supply line in a few seconds.<br><br>Chaining the tranny and T-case shifters together in some strange gear combination would work-but it's kind of a hassle to do that everytime you jump out just to run into 7-11.<br><br>If a REAL pro wants your truck, he's going to get it-even he has to use the winch on a flatbed wrecker to drag it, wheels locked and all, up on the flatbed and away. In less than a minute, it's gone. You could use those "spike guns" contractors use that drive steel spikes into concrete to give yourself an anchor point in the parking lot to attach a chain to, then wrap it around the frame and lock it, but that would take a while...not to mention being rather loud -and it tends to annoy the parking lot security cops. <br><br>You could get REALLY creative and use things like neon transformers or electric fence power supplies to charge various metal parts of the truck (steering wheel, shifters, door handles)...or mace/tear gas dispensers wired to fire into the driver's seat unless the correct starting procedure is followed...use your imagination here.<br><br>Or, you can live in Texas and leagally carry a concealed weapon. A .45 is hard to argue with.<br><br>Guess which method I use.        

hotrodbronco

Loc.
Athens, GA
If you dont want the wheels to turn, put a Mico-lock on it and put the switch in an inconspicuous place.  I have one and am planning to do this but haven't given it enough thought as to a convenient and inconspicuous place to hide the switch.  You couls also fab a little lock on the switch so a theif couldn't easily unswitch it.<br>chum

Jaded75

Loc.
David City, Nebraska
I use a switch to ground the neg side of the coil, but I use a KC driving light switch mounted in plain sight.  I then use a different toggle switch for my lights that isn't marked.  My thought was that the KC switch may be too obvious and not be considered by a would be thief to be a kill switch.  At least no one has taken it yet, but I can't prove it works.  <br><br>I like the tank switch to off thing, but all of us don't have dual tanks. ;D ;D ;D

OP
OP
c2computer

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
Hmmm, the ideas are great.  Yeah, if I could get a concealed weapons permit here in CA I would.  <br><br>I think the fuel idea is good...<br><br>What is this about the removable steering wheel? Is that quick?  I have a Grant now but it does not come off in a flash...

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
If someone really wanted your Bronco that bad, They will steal it no matter what!!

desertrat302

Loc.
Tucson,Az
I have one of the Grant removable steering wheel kits,its pretty slick.Its just an adapter that goes between the wheel and column.You just insert a key,flip a switch and the wheel comes off.Only takes about 5 seconds.Then you put a locking cap on the column where the wheel goes.My neighbors look at me a little funny when Im carrying my steering wheel inside at night,but who cares,it works.Only thing about this setup is its a PITA to get the horn to work,so I just have a horn button the dash.<br>BTW,"clubs" dont work that great,thieves just hacksaw the steering wheel and the club comes off.<br>Sort of on the same subject,somebody I know got tired of having his stereo ripped off,so he epoxied fish hooks all over it.Imagine reaching up behind the dash to yank THAT stereo.....not that I would encourage anybody to do this...

bronconator

Loc.
Santa Clarita
This is what I'm going to use. http://brakelock.com/<br><br><br><br><br><br>
brakelock.gif
<br><br><br><br><br>

70bucks

Loc.
Valley Center SOCAL
I saw a fuel line lock in one of the hot rod rags that connected in line to the steelfuellines. It used one of those coca-cola style keys to turn on or off. By the time you try to get the lock to move you mangle the fuel lines leaving the thieves stranded anyway.

cactushorse

Fishhooks...that's pretty smooth  ;D.I have a removable steering wheel also,it's a SWEET MFG wheel, the same as a nascar setup.It comes off in no time,when i get my cage done i'll just lock the wheel to it,and if some SOB can drive it with some plyers on the steering shaft,more power to him