• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Kill Switch/Theft Deterrent

kuch68

Loc.
Waterford, MI
[quote author=phat73ebc link=board=5;threadid=897;start=75#105735 date=1044541897]<br>I wired my ignition so that when you turn the key it only turns all the power on. If you want to start it you have to push the window wash button in (like a start button in race cars only not so obvious). I have had the ignition punched two times and the bronco was still there the next day (could not get it started). Lost my deck and speakers though, both times.<br>[/quote]<br><br>How do you wash your windows then, turn the ignition to the start position? That would be funny to see a theif trying to start the bronco and the windsheild washers are going.

G

[quote author=kuch68 link=board=5;threadid=897;start=75#105971 date=1044628450]<br>[quote author=phat73ebc link=board=5;threadid=897;start=75#105735 date=1044541897]<br>I wired my ignition so that when you turn the key it only turns all the power on. If you want to start it you have to push the window wash button in (like a start button in race cars only not so obvious). I have had the ignition punched two times and the bronco was still there the next day (could not get it started). Lost my deck and speakers though, both times.<br>[/quote]<br><br>How do you wash your windows then, turn the ignition to the start position? That would be funny to see a theif trying to start the bronco and the windsheild washers are going.<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>That is just how it is wired

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
This actually saved my 77 F-150 from getting swiped.

I came out to go to work one morning to find my door unlatched and my wing window open with the latch broken. I got in and tried to start it and NOTHING. I looked under the dash and found that some SOB un plugged my ignition switch with the intention of using another igntiton to start it. Now you may ask, why didn't the MF get my truck? What I did was ground the Neg side of the coil with a hidden switch. It was actually a foot operated dimmer switch that I got from the boneyard and I attached it to the firewall under a piece of carpet. One click with the foot will make it crank and crank but not fire. Hopefully the cranking will attract some attention and the thief will give up and find an easier target. I didn't like the idea of the ba$tard breaking my latch in front of my house while I was in bed so I had an alarm installed that same day. The alarm has it's own siren and intermittently honks the horn at the same time. The next time someone tries this in front of my house, I will be informed and can greet them with my welcoming committee, me and my 870 Remmington.

The other device I had on a Pristine 65 Mustang with the rare factory Hi-Po Engine. It was a page alarm that would alert my pager if the door opened. This combined with a kill switch and the 45 ACP method works pretty well. This car was violated twice but the thieves were un successful. Fuel shut offs work great as well.

These things will not stop an experienced and well seasoned thief from getting your truck if they really want it, but they will keep an amateur from starting your motor.

A friend of mine had every device you can think of, hood lock down, alarm, kill switch. He got his truck pushed down the street and loaded onto a flatbed while he was sleeping. Later discovered when the stripped carcass was found that they cut the battery cable to disable the alarm.

BH

TOMKLU

Loc.
San Diego, Californi
How about a second coil wired to one washer under the seat material, or an exposed button and another button about 6" away ( disclaimer : your thief butt cheek distance may vary) so he gets the message. Maybe a removable spike from the ceiling to distribute the mesaage.

G

[quote author=c2computer link=board=5;threadid=897;start=0#msg1722 date=1017017547]
What about putting a switch in the line that powers the coil from the ignition?  Is that kind of what you are saying?
My landcruiser is always open, can't lock and no one has ever stolen anything out of it. Key to this is this, works for me. First of all move to a place like Maui, where everyone knows everyone else. After a year of driving, everyone will know who drives your vehicle. Wave at all of the brothers who drive 4-wheel drive rigs. This will form a comraderie between wheelers. No one will touch your wheeler because they know on a small island like Maui, you will be caught and when you do, your ass is mine. On a small island like this we also know all the cops so it's easy. They only rip off the tourists here.[/quote]

Bart

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
Here's a couple of anti-theft ideas. The first is an old tried and true one. You cut the wire leading from the coil to the distributor, and put a male blade connector to one side and a female blade connector to the other side of the cut wire. Then with more wire and the opposite connect than you just installed run two longer wires to another location where you install a key operated switch (much like the electric key switch for a garage door opener). Connect the extended wires to each side of this switch and you're in business. Turning off and removing the key prevents a hot wiring. If you ever have the problem of the switch dieing you can just separate the two wires at the coil/distributor and plug them back together just like orginal. Best to have some type of hood lock to prevent said bad guy from doing the same. But then again will they take the time to find out???
Another, but more expensive, way is to order from Summit Racing (.com) products called LINE LOCKS. Part number SBR LL $49.99 each. You can use one or two. They install between the brake master cylinder and the steel brake line. They serve two purposes. One is anti- theft and the other is off road holding on hills. What they do is to keep the brakes applied once you push the brake pedel and turn ON the switch. They're rated for 3,000 psi.
That way, when applied and the above mentioned electric key switch key is removed. No one can release the brakes. This won't stop a fork lift or a wrecker with a set of dolly wheels but it won't stop a helicopter either.
Be awhere that with the second device battery power is being used to keep the line locks energized, but I'm sure the battery will last awhile, especially if you have two and an isolator.
I just thought of a better key switch, one with two on positions. Say, left feeds power to the coil/distributor and right remove that power and applies it to the brake solnoids (DPDT). On motion for both operations.
Put yourself in the place of the guy trying to steal you pride and joy. He gets in and hot wires under the dash because he can't get under the locked hood. It cranks but won't start. He figures out the switch and most jumper it out. Now it starts but in gear it won't move. Now what???? Go find something easier to steal.
P.S. That's what will happen if they go after mine.

sicaz66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
san diego
[quote author=c2computer link=board=5;threadid=897;start=0#msg1725 date=1017018465]
That is a good idea.  That would definitely be an addition to whatever else I end up doing.  Have you tested that out?  I may just drive mine like that and see how far I get.  Do I have to drive like a thief...  :p
[/quote]

drive it like you stole it! ;D

sicaz66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
san diego
this works for me: ;D
"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kind of lost track myself,"
"But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk?"

Bart

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
[quote author=DesertRat302 link=board=5;threadid=897;start=30#msg1749 date=1017099004]
I have one of the Grant removable steering wheel kits,its pretty slick.Its just an adapter that goes between the wheel and column.You just insert a key,flip a switch and the wheel comes off.Only takes about 5 seconds.Then you put a locking cap on the column where the wheel goes.My neighbors look at me a little funny when Im carrying my steering wheel inside at night,but who cares,it works.Only thing about this setup is its a PITA to get the horn to work,so I just have a horn button the dash.
BTW,"clubs" dont work that great,thieves just hacksaw the steering wheel and the club comes off.
Sort of on the same subject,somebody I know got tired of having his stereo ripped off,so he epoxied fish hooks all over it.Imagine reaching up behind the dash to yank THAT stereo.....not that I would encourage anybody to do this...
[/quote]

Now, I like the fish hook idea!!!

jerry

Contributor
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
[quote author=c2computer link=board=5;threadid=897;start=0#msg1719 date=1017017133]
Just don't try to steal it at my house because I also believe in the 2nd Amendment.
[/quote]

Amen, brother! I have an alarm that'll go in mine, (with motion sensors to protect the interior), alerting me to grab the shotgun. :)

Bart

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
[quote author=Jerry link=board=5;threadid=897;start=90#msg116984 date=1048197787]
[quote author=c2computer link=board=5;threadid=897;start=0#msg1719 date=1017017133]
Just don't try to steal it at my house because I also believe in the 2nd Amendment.
[/quote]

Amen, brother! I have an alarm that'll go in mine, (with motion sensors to protect the interior), alerting me to grab the shotgun. :)
[/quote]

Right! There's nothing like the sound of a round being jacked in a 12 gauge pump to strick fear in the heart and mind of low lifes.

JokerOfDeception

Loc.
Whittier friggin cal
now seriously guys, the coil wire switch and the removable steering wheel are all terrific ideas but the cream of the crop lies in DISGHUSTING the would be theif so that he collapses in shock at what he sees when he manages to get the door open :

1: i know this will be hard for some of you, but you gotta go on an adventure to your local SEX SHOP!

2: buy one of those fudge packer gay boy magazines, and/ or some nasty dildo or something to the effect of a bedroom toy.

3: strategically place them on the drivers seat along with a can of vaseline or lotion, or rip open a couple condom packages and hang em on the steering wheel.

4: im sorry guys, dang thats so disghusting! oh well! it will work. unless your car theif is you know..... twisted. :'(