• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best manifold for the Q-Jet

cldonley

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Picked up a QJet with the altitude compensating valve off of a 76 Caddy. Now, for an intake. I've read on here and in other places that the Edelbrock Performer is a good option. Will I need to clearance for the rear butterflies? And, will I need an adapter for the bolt pattern? It's going on a 96 351W.

I've also read about Offy's that are designed for the spread bore, but last check showed they were only available for the 351C and 400M.

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have the 351w with Edelbrock Performer (non Air Gap) and like it a lot. Air gap sits taller and higher RPM range. You will need an adapter and dont get the Mr. Gasket. Get the Edelbrock 2692. No need to clearance for butterflies.

This is the issue I had with the Mr Gasket.

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/quadrajet-adapter-plate-gap-air-leak.321417/#post-3512848

You will need hood clearance so body lift and/or hood scoop will help, but you are probably aware.

No experience with the Offy, just I hear they are hard to come by.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
whatever adaptor that you use, double check primary and secondary butterflies opening at full are not restricted. I checked this and had to open it up using an air die grinder to make sure that there were no interference when opened.

OP
OP
cldonley

cldonley

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
I have the 351w with Edelbrock Performer (non Air Gap) and like it a lot. Air gap sits taller and higher RPM range. You will need an adapter and dont get the Mr. Gasket. Get the Edelbrock 2692. No need to clearance for butterflies.

This is the issue I had with the Mr Gasket.

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/quadrajet-adapter-plate-gap-air-leak.321417/#post-3512848

You will need hood clearance so body lift and/or hood scoop will help, but you are probably aware.

No experience with the Offy, just I hear they are hard to come by.
I have a 1 inch body lift. Will that be enough assuming I have the right air cleaner?

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a 1 inch body lift. Will that be enough assuming I have the right air cleaner?

I believe its possible. I have a 1" BL and hood scoop with a slightly raised 3" air cleaner and its tight. There are a lot of posts on that subject. You might have some good luck confirming through some searches.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
The edelbrock requires an adapter and will probably require cutting the hood.
There is a stock low profile ford manifold that also requires the adapter but can't fit the q-jet under a stock hood without a body lift.
Then there's the offy. It has the correct bolt pattern but you need to clearance for the butterflies. No adapter required. I run this on both mine. It may clear with your 1"b/l but you will need a real low profile air cleaner. On my 72 I have an edelbrock elite triangle air cleaner and it looks like it will clear but I have a 2"b/l. I have a stock hood in the garage waiting to go on. Hate the hood scoop on it now. It's like an expressway for mud to flow directly into the carb.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Is there a source for the 4bbl version?

Which offy am I looking for? I did some research and found them for the 351C, but not the Windsor motor.
Thanks!
Spellcheck bit me on the Ford manifold response. It will fit the set up under a stock hood with n o b/l. I think Chuck did it with the stock air cleaner. As far as sources I pulled the 4bbl from a 70s econoline.
The 351w offy is a model 360. Summit has or had e. But they have gotten pricey. I picked em up at the hot rod swap meets. If you look on the used market you might find one already bored out for the q-jet.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Last I tried you can go to the summit racing website and start checking off filters and see what will work without an adapter.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I couldn't get it to come up on summit. I googled offenhauser 360 351w and a few came up on ebay in the $200-300 dollar range.