• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best method of knuckle thread repair

cs_88

Bronco Guru
Just found out that my steering knuckle has a couple of stripped bolt holes.
I can pick up a Heli-coil kit for about $30. Just wondering if there is a better option for this application.

Thanks.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
On the Bronco What axle and what bolts are stripped? A D44 the only bolt holes are for the stops. I think.

If it is your other truck I would think drill and tap to the next larger size.

OP
OP
cs_88

cs_88

Bronco Guru
Sorry, it's where the spindle bolts up to the knuckle on my D44.

Hovtherid

Loc.
Calhoun
I wouldn't trust a helicoil. Buy another knuckle and replace. You can find used knuckles cheap enough. Probably enough looking you could find one cheaper that the helicoil set.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I wouldn't trust a helicoil.

??? A properly installed Helicoil insert is stronger than the original thread.

But I agree with your statement that good knuckles can be had cheap.

EDIT: Wait..what??..what threads are in a knuckle to start with??

Hovtherid

Loc.
Calhoun
He means the 6 holes to bolt the spindle onto the knuckle I believe. I agree helicoils can be a great fix if done right and in some softer metals required. With a drill press or Bridgeport. But I wouldn't do it with a hand drill on a bolt hole that I'm relying to hold my wheel on at 55mph. Especially when used knuckles are so cheap. A broken tap is enough headach to cause a knuckle to be purchased in itself.

OP
OP
cs_88

cs_88

Bronco Guru
Correct. I think at least two of the six holes are in bad shape.

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yet another reason why I like using Ford parts for a disc barke swap instead of doing the Chevy parts swap. Pretty sure some folks just run bolts all the way through the knuckle kind of a PITA but it should work.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Educate me a little...my disk knuckles have what looks like studs pressed in. Does the drum knuckle have bolts that thread in from the outside? What part has the threads that need to be fixed?

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ford disc brake knuckles have studs, drum brake knuckles have threaded holes.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Learned my new thing for the day...FYI, I have a set of drum knuckles and spindles in the garage if you want them.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I got a set of knuckles once that were stripped out and drilled for 7/16 bolts. I drilled the spindles to match and upsized the bolts to 7/16. Ran that way for many years, sold the truck, still running that way. Bolts are stronger.

OP
OP
cs_88

cs_88

Bronco Guru
I got a set of knuckles once that were stripped out and drilled for 7/16 bolts. I drilled the spindles to match and upsized the bolts to 7/16. Ran that way for many years, sold the truck, still running that way. Bolts are stronger.

I may try this route.

Thanks.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ford disc brake knuckles have studs, drum brake knuckles have threaded holes.

oh, right...I forgot about that. I so seldom do anything with those knuckles that I forgot how the spindles are attached.

The drill-and-go-larger approach sounds like a good one.