• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best motor tranny combo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I'm with 75Bronc about the ZF if you want a manual. (can't speak to the auto tranny) '96 Exploder + a ZF is a great combo with 4.11 gears and 31" tires. I'm just now going through the pains of making it full on Exploder EFI. It is a lengthy process to rework the 96 harness and fab up little things, like the throttle linkage, but it is very doable. Some pics of the process. Cheers, B2

B2 that is a work of art, love the valve covers ;D:eek:;)

wsager

Yes, but a couple of things to be aware of: The 98 would have GT40P heads. You can use the manifolds that come on it (ugly), buy the expensive headers for GT40P head 5.0 in a bronco, or I've heard you can use your early bronco 302 manifolds with some clearancing done around the spark plugs. With the 2wd, you will also need to pull the whole trans apart in order to install the adapter on the 4r70w (replace the tailshaft with the one supplied). If you get the 4x4 4r70w, you can shorten the tailshaft and keeps you from having to take the trans apart (the d20 adapter is also a bit cheaper for the 4x4 trans vs. the 2wd).

OP
OP
D

Dademmy77

Loc.
Florence, SC
Well I'm all far looking for something that would work easier. The only thing is that I can get this complete mountaineer for $400. Is there a specific Year model that fits the best with minimal fabrication

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Broncobowsher is spot on asking what your use is...

It's like asking on here what kind of car should I buy...family, 2 seats, 7 seats, pickup, mileage, DD, commuter for mileage, and of course you answered less than 30K : ) ...etc.
punched to 4.125, TF heads, SEFI w/Moates, 4r70 or street 6r80... what are the intended uses???

I think anything less than a 408 isn't worth it... 351's aren't any hassle to put in compared to a 5.0. stuff bolts on.... only a few more bucks... super reliable.
aahhhh, just saw that your daughter will be driving it... that means a boyfriend eventually... my daughter drives mine VERY sanely but...I can't speak to others so that would mean maybe an easy Exploder swap with a 4r70W. Have Garry set you up with the wiring so it's a drop in with limited wiring running the stock coil packs etc. BEYOND dependable and no work other than bolting it up with some limited wiring....

ricky

Loc.
beaumon,texas 77706
sounds like some nice setups here..if going the 302 4R70W (4x4) the np205 transfer case bolts up to the trans without mods,correct?

does anyone sell a crossmember for this setup? or is everyone fabbing up a custom piece? thanks