• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best MT and AT tires for road

Wingo4x4

Loc.
Myrtle Beach
My lubr will be at least 75% driven on road. I like the mud terrain look but I've always been told they wear down quick and are noisy. At this point I'm pushing towards the new BFG K02s but wasn't sure if anyone liked a different AT or if they know a good mud terrain for the road.

Dpearce

I know the nitto trail grappler gets very good reviews. Kind of in between an AT and mud.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I have always had really good luck with BFG whether MT or AT. The AT are definitely quieter and have better tread life. A buddy of mine is running a set of the Nittos mentioned and likes them a lot. I would say they are comparable to the BFG product.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There are some decent A/T-M/T crossover tires like the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac that make a good compromise IMO.

pipermike

Not going to say they are "the best" but I'm very happy with my Mickey Thompson MTZ's very quite for a mud tire.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Get the BFGs. I have had a lot of the BFGs and never been disappointed. I just put a set of Toyo Open country ATs on my F150 and they look good and have good snow traction but.. I think the BFGs are quieter. Only have 100miles on them so I don't know about how they wear but I had a bunch of BFG ATs go 50,000 miles.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have BFG Ko and Toyo at2. My brother got his at2 at the same time as me, but got 10 ply and I got 6 or 8. Mine are worn 2x as much as his. I would try a harder ply if you want good wear. Both are great tires. If you check ebay you can get great deals on the original BFG KO. Since it's phased out now.

My lubr is running BFG KO- 10 Ply 285/70-17

Major Tom

Contributor
Not going to say they are "the best" but I'm very happy with my Mickey Thompson MTZ's very quite for a mud tire.

I am on my 2nd set of Mickey Thompson baja mtz's on my daily driver (not a Bronco) and I love them. I got over 55 thousand miles on the first set. a quiet tire and great off road

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Big fan of Cepek Mud Country's here. Quietest MT tire I've ever run on the road, though I've never run the Mickey's myself. The other MTs I have run include Parnelli Jones, Dunlop and a couple different style ProComps..and whatever is one my F-250 right now..Goodyears, I think..

House

Minutia Militia
Get the BFGs. I have had a lot of the BFGs and never been disappointed. I just put a set of Toyo Open country ATs on my F150 and they look good and have good snow traction but.. I think the BFGs are quieter. Only have 100miles on them so I don't know about how they wear but I had a bunch of BFG ATs go 50,000 miles.

FWIW, the BFG KO2's are the only ones actually rated for Winter/Snow.

knack

Contributor
I'm really happy with the TreadWright Guard Dogs. Haven't even bothered to balance them and they go down the road great. Cheep too!

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Going to go AT's on my 2500HD when it's time Cooper AT3's

The Bronco needs tires. The old MudKings were great tires but not made anymore. I'm looking at a MasterCraft M/T it's made by Cooper as well.

Tim

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I run my F150 on the highway and out in the woods quite a bit for work. I have run BFG AT's, Toyo AT's, Michelin take offs, and Wild Country AT's. All wore out at about 43K (or I just got sick of them) except the Michelins which probably would have gone to 75-80K but have minimal off road traction.

I now have a set of Coopers and they are providing consistent traction at 35K miles and plan to run them until about Halloween when I'll replace at roughly 55-60K.

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/DISCOVERER-S-T-MAXX.aspx

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
Cooper Discoverer S/T or SST PRO all terrain, Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 or MT if you like a mud tire. General Grabber is an ok tire too.

I could not wear out a set of Bridgestone Dueler AT's, trust me I tried. lol

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Duratrac's. They're half way between an AT and an MT. And they are quiet on the road. I have had both BFG Muds and MTR's and both get very loud when worn some. I love my MTRs for trail use, but not for a 75% pavement pounder. I bet you'll see closer to 90% on road use. 25% trail use is a LOT of time on the trails for a dual purpose vehicle.

toddsrods

Had great luck with my Cooper STT. Decent road manners, not very noisy, good offroad performance. I know people love BFG, but I have had piss poor luck with the M/T sidewalls, and hate the A/T on snow and ice. Have the Cooper AT3 on the wife's 4runner and LOVE them on everything it sees. mostly roads, but dirt when camping and snow when snow shoeing. Always had good luck from Cooper.

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
x2 on Cooper STT's. They wear well and are quiet.

I rode in a truck with Duratrac tires and they were the noisiest tire I've ever heard. Maybe they got a bad set.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
x2 on Cooper STT's. They wear well and are quiet.

I rode in a truck with Duratrac tires and they were the noisiest tire I've ever heard. Maybe they got a bad set.

Wow! I have 2 sets now - one set on my daily driver Rubicon 4 door and a set on my 84 Bronco. Both are very quiet as compared to muds.

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
Wow! I have 2 sets now - one set on my daily driver Rubicon 4 door and a set on my 84 Bronco. Both are very quiet as compared to muds.

My first impression was that they are a horrible tire, but I have heard a lot of good things about them.