• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best radiator

norm02

Hey everyone,

It appears as though the radiator on my Bronco has sprung a leak and I may need to get a new one. My truck has the original 170ci motor in it right now but I have future plans of doing a V8 swap down the road. I would like to replace the leaking radiator I have now with something that will keep my future motor running cool.

Any opinions on the best design, manufacturer, and vendor would be appreciated. Additionally, the future motor will be a Ford 351-408ci and I'm looking for ~400hp+. I'm sticking with a MANual transmission of that makes any difference. Thanks!

Brewbro21

You can't go wrong with B.C. Broncos triple pass radiator. Not sure if they still make it but if they do this is by far the best in my opinion. It's a direct bolt in no trimming anything to make fit. I've had mine over 11 years with no issue. I have idled around moad in august, over 117 degrees outside my engine stayed at 180 the whole time.

OP
OP
norm02

norm02

You can't go wrong with B.C. Broncos triple pass radiator. Not sure if they still make it but if they do this is by far the best in my opinion. It's a direct bolt in no trimming anything to make fit. I've had mine over 11 years with no issue. I have idled around moad in august, over 117 degrees outside my engine stayed at 180 the whole time.

I took your advice and checked it out. Definitely a nice part and since I'm in Texas, I'm sure I'll need all the help I can get. I appreciate your feedback and hopefully others will comment so I can have some other options to compare it with.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... I'm going to say don't get rid of your org Radiator ... You may buy a replacement but it may never work like your Org. rad.
... Sorry these new radiators never seem to do the jobs that the org Radiator have done.
.. I have a Aluminum radiator from Champion .... one of the $102.00 radiators from here about 7 years ago. .. I think I got the best one of that batch.. Mine has never leaked a drop..
... IT did not keep my gas motor cool ... But It sure does keep the Diesel cool..

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
IMO an aluminum radiator is a disposable item, do not spend a large amount of money on one.

But a better idea is a copper/brass radiator, those last longer and are repairable.

ransil

Bronco Guru
Take it to a radiator shop if you can find one, clean and repair it and throw it back in.

drock

Had my copper radiator re-worked at a local shop for less than an aluminum one so I didn't even need to think about brackets, cuttting, fitment issues, etc. Radiator shop owner even told me to bring it back to him if I ever had an issue with it and he would fix it free of charge. In the Oklahoma 105+ summer days it never gets above 190 (even when I run it hard).

OP
OP
norm02

norm02

Had my copper radiator re-worked at a local shop for less than an aluminum one so I didn't even need to think about brackets, cuttting, fitment issues, etc. Radiator shop owner even told me to bring it back to him if I ever had an issue with it and he would fix it free of charge. In the Oklahoma 105+ summer days it never gets above 190 (even when I run it hard).

I'll look into having this one repaired but as mentioned in the OP, I'm eventually switching from the 6 cylinder to a 351ish V8 and I doubt it will be up to the task of keeping it cool in the Texas heat. My thought was if I have to replace it, I might as well go with one that will support a fairly rowdy V8 when I make the swap down the road.

Copper does seem like the way to go in terms of heat dispersion. Spending a little extra doesn't bother me as long as I only have to do it once!

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
I love my Champion aluminum radiator from e bay. I've had it many many many years and it works great! I live in one of the hottest places (Southern Arizona) and my Bronco stays cool.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Take it to a radiator shop if you can find one, clean and repair it and throw it back in.

x2...there are good radiator shops everywhere in Texas. A leak can be repaired easily and let them clean it out and throw it back in. The radiator in your EB is a known quantity as opposed to one you know little about.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I have just 2 points. One is that BC Broncos heavy duty radiators are the best available in general but the triple pass can't incorporate an auto trans cooler closing the door on a later swap without a divorced tranny cooler. Two is the fact that a V8 radiator is very different from the I6 type so the the OE should stay until you do the engine swap.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I'm sure you have lots of good radiator shops near you.
Take your radiator to them and tell them what you plan to do with it. They're way more experienced in cooling engines than any of our vendors. Besides, it's easier to get your hands around his throat if you have issues.:mad:

I've bought radiators from two of our vendors and ended up with leaks both times. They both sent out replacements with the same results. Sure the vendors both gave me my money back, but it was a real hassle.

I ended up taking the original to a good shop. They re-cored it with an x-core. It has three rows of staggered tubes, made of lots heavier tubing than the radiators I got from the vendors. You can tell just by picking the thing up it's heavier.

I guess thinner brass saves in manufacture costs, but it does little for durability in our application.

OP
OP
norm02

norm02

I have just 2 points. One is that BC Broncos heavy duty radiators are the best available in general but the triple pass can't incorporate an auto trans cooler closing the door on a later swap without a divorced tranny cooler. Two is the fact that a V8 radiator is very different from the I6 type so the the OE should stay until you do the engine swap.

Didn't know the straight six wouldn't work with one designed for an 8 cylinder and I appreciate you letting me know. FWIW, I'm sticking with a manual so I won't have to worry about finding an auto friendly one.

beasterly

I bought mine at WH good buy . Took it in and had the side brackets swapped over so I could get more clearance

beasterly

You can have my old one for free was acid dipped and redone about 3 years ago works very well and it's original I think . you take care of shipping or pick it up .would be cool if it was used for your sweet roadster

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I've bought radiators from two of our vendors and ended up with leaks both times. They both sent out replacements with the same results. Sure the vendors both gave me my money back, but it was a real hassle.

Sounds like you did a 4-core swap. Those seem to spring leaks within about a year. I had one in the 66. After 3 leaks within a year or so I swapped to the bc. No problems since and it cools better in LA traffic.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Sounds like you did a 4-core swap. Those seem to spring leaks within about a year. I had one in the 66. After 3 leaks within a year or so I swapped to the bc. No problems since and it cools better in LA traffic.

That's it. All four core radiators, and all four radiators leaked within a year.

That's when I found out that a radiator shop in Bakersfield wouldn't stay in business long if they sold a bad product.;)

As a matter of fact, I can order a complete radiator from a radiator shop for less $ than any of our vendors can sell it to me for.

Makes you wonder why people feel like they have to order online??:?